Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a dangerous world out there. Sideview mirrors, tree branches, and the occasional spill onto the pavement!

Anyone have handguards on their bike? I know they disrupt the stock look, but I can't afford to break my fingers.

Recommendations? And concerns regarding fitment?

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Never thought about them on a road bike. I have seen shields that are supposed to keep the wind off your hands to help keep them warm but never to protect them in a crash. I guess that is what you want them for, a possible crash? I was broadsided last year on my CL350 and went down, very slow and no real injuries. Some road rash on my leather jacket and rug burns on my legs where the pants actually scraped the skin off but there was no real damage to the pants. I had leather gloves on and had no injuries to my hands at all. I think I did have my hands on the handlebars the whole way down because I was still pushing the horn button when the bike hit the ground. :shock:
Handgaurds would be simple to make,,,, one thing to make sure of though is that you make them so that they dont crush your hands when the bike lands on them and bends them back towards your hands.
I wonder if trials bikes have something like that on them?
Don

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Bark Busters sound like a solution for you. I've personally had wrecks where my hands stayed on the bars and others where I'm glad I let go. Those guards work best in woods riding where you're concerned about smashing your hand between the bars and a fast moving tree... ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know in an all out crash, they're not going to save my hands--but they may save my brake/clutch levers. I already lost a lever in a spill on my CT90 on the road.

On the street, I'm thinking of possible impacts with sideview mirrors, signposts, idiot pedestrians, and so on. And I hope to take this offroad, too, so I was thinking of the trees. These, plus some plastic guards, are what I'm thinking of. As an added bonus, I've heard they keep your gloved hands warmer than riding without.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Funny you posted that. I've got those Zeta pivot levers on my DRZ and they're awesome! Some of the nicest CNC work I've ever seen too..

You can get the bark buster type of guards WITH the plastic ones over them. Lots of manufacturers make them in a lot of different configurations, different mounting points, clamps, etc..

GB :mrgreen:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts