Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to remove my engine to do a top end overhaul and I'm wondering how other people secured their engines so it doesn't move around while you are wrenching on it. I'd also like to paint or polish the cases while I have it out.

Does anyone have any suggestions or pictures of what they've done? thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
just saw a pic of it done cant remember if it was here or on dotheton but a guy just took 2 pieces of angle iron and bolted it to the rear mounting point on the engine and then the other part of the angle bolted to the stand

·
Registered
34 Posts
I will follow this post! I might need the picture to DIY.. :p

I also view several pics of home made engine stand but I just don't understand how you could hold such a weight with only two points at the extreme end of it...you must support the front as well, no ?

how heavy is a 350 engine....100lbs ? less

·
Registered
785 Posts
I rebuild 225lb 4 cylinder engines on the floor of my garage with a 2x4 holding it from flopping over and pissing me off.

·
Registered
785 Posts
NE350 said:
SM,

I didn't make a stand for my motor, but I did polish the cases and paint the motor. Click on the flickerphoto link at the bottom of the page.

Matt
I like your key switch relocator.

·
Registered
25 Posts
here ya go this is a 4 cyl motor on there but you get the idea, if it will hold that motor i think it will hold out 350/360 motors. its about half way down the page

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to take it out this weekend, and based on what you guys are saying it looks like I'll just lay it on the bench and secure it only if it gives me trouble.

Do you guys lift the engine out of the bike or do you lay it down and then lift the frame off? I read about that somewhere and it sounded easier in some respects.

·
Registered
363 Posts
fasterspider said:
NE350 said:
SM,

I didn't make a stand for my motor, but I did polish the cases and paint the motor. Click on the flickerphoto link at the bottom of the page.

Matt
I like your key switch relocator.
Thanks. It's very convenient

·
Registered
363 Posts
smbevma said:
I'm going to take it out this weekend, and based on what you guys are saying it looks like I'll just lay it on the bench and secure it only if it gives me trouble.

Do you guys lift the engine out of the bike or do you lay it down and then lift the frame off? I read about that somewhere and it sounded easier in some respects.
you can do both. I guess it's personal preference. Personally I just pulled it out the right side.

Good Luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've built a few stands. I made both out of 2x8 stock and dowels, they took about 30-45 minutes each to build and use wood I pulled out of a dumpster (plus some odd bits of dowel):

First one is for the engine. I wanted to do the top end so access there was important. I also left enough room on the base to be able to clamp the base to my bench. If I want I can cut off the little ears on the 2x4's in front and pivot the engine up.

The second stand is for working on my tank. I needed to strip it and fix some dents. The stand holds it securely and gives me access to the entire outside of the tank and most of the underneath, if I flip it up.

Both have been a big help. I can post the measurements if anyone is interested.

Shawn

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Very nicely done. The tank jig is so simple that it's elegant. I wish I would have thought about that when I was painting my CL350 tank. It would have saved me having to repaint it because it wasn't held in place securely and tipped over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts