Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into switching to a better headlight than the stock. Anyone have any thoughts, or information on these? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Both will be much brighter but the old Hondas marginal charging systems may have a hard time handling the additional draw. Halogen will be bright and consume quite a bit more wattage. HID will consume more wattage than stock upon turning it on, but then level out at a lower power draw. Most say that it's less than the draw of a halogen. HID will be super bright and may blind other oncoming drivers, who may flash their high beams at you...

Your bike may have a slightly better charging system than other bikes of a little older vintage on this site, so you may get away with running either fairly easily. It's anyones guess I suppose. Google it or try it out.. ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
I'd love to find a good replacement for these old headlights. I don't ride much at night, but when I do, my KZ's headlight seems like its just a candle :D . Especially if I'm riding with a buddy on a modern bike. Haven't really looked around for an alternative yet though. Are there any LED headlight options out yet?

·
Registered
43 Posts
At first I had assumed the answer would be no, but a quick google search surprised me with this LED headlight. It's advertised as DOT approved for trucks, buses, and MPV's in the US and Canada. They provide a breakdown on the regulations. It doesn't seem to have any info on motorcycles, but if it's good enough for an 18-wheeler...

My only concern would be finding replacements, you can buy H4 bulbs almost anywhere, but these are going to have to be ordered for quite a while. Will a 7" light fit in the factory bucket? I thought the sealed factory units were a little smaller.

specs:
Designed at 12.8v
4.5a (High Beam), 2.5a (Low Beam)
so about 60watts high beam, and 35w low beam rounding up.

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wc...S/12vLEDHeadlamp.html&storeId=10001&langId=-1

Try them out, and report back, I'm very curious :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like I may have to find a new headlight bucket to fit an after market light, about $100 just for the bucket, ouch! The LED headlights are going for $300! I'll get back to you guys, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The LED headlights are going for $300!
Whoa! I didn''t even bother to look up the price for it. Guess that's to be expected when a company is the first to fill a technology vacuum. I think you could do a lot better going another route at that price. Upgrade the entire charging system maybe.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Get a replacement headlight bucket that takes a H3 or H4 bulb off Ebay ($60 or so prob) then convert that to HID with one of the cheapo kits on Ebay. The downsidehave is that you'll only have either high or low beam. UNLESS you can manage to find an HID system that has the movable bulb system via a solenoid that adjusts its depth in the housing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
Get a replacement headlight bucket that takes a H3 or H4 bulb off Ebay ($60 or so prob) then convert that to HID with one of the cheapo kits on Ebay. The downsidehave is that you'll only have either high or low beam. UNLESS you can manage to find an HID system that has the movable bulb system via a solenoid that adjusts its depth in the housing.

That's just it, I can only find this http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/sp ... 450/Detail

and that is a bit rich for my budget. I was hoping someone out there might know of a bucket that could be used. Awhile ago I bought a "Candle Power" H4 reflector and bulb, to put in my 81 CM200T. Bike Bandit claimed it fit, but no it doesn't. I never returned it, and last night I read that it also fit the CB450SC, but it doesn't fit that either....soooooooo unless someone knows of a mod for this...?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
You can get a complete halogen headlight and chrome shell (bottom or side mount) for about $40 from J&P Cycles ((Harley sportster/ Bates sized)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
66Sprint said:
You can get a complete halogen headlight and chrome shell (bottom or side mount) for about $40 from J&P Cycles ((Harley sportster/ Bates sized)

I was only able to find bottom mounting buckets. If you would be so kind as to post a link to the $40 set you mentioned, it would be very helpful. Thanks 66.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
I posted a link in the Craigslist thread as well..

Can't figure this one out either :roll:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Shoot, this one is a 5 3/4", mine is a 7". It won't fit, will it?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
dpb said:
Bird76Mojo said:
I posted a link in the Craigslist thread as well..

Can't figure this one out either :roll:

If you search on here for "craigslist thread" then you'd see what I posted. It was a headlight for you for a somewhat reasonable price...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I searched for "craigslist thread" and found all the times you and I have wrote it, but nothing more.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for shedding a little light on the situation, Perry ;)

Looks like this one is a bit small too, but I'll talk with them, see what they know. Many thanks, lads.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The same guy on ebay has this one for $0.95 more. It's all chrome and 7" wide at the mounting points.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/head...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e23d5359

I really dislike meeting another bike or a car for that matter on a two lane that has one of those modified HID systems or Xenon arc lamps. If they are on the inside of a downhill turn it's blinding even in the day time. Just one of many reasons why they are illegal in the US. Don't take my word for it though... http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/deetz.ztv.html

I'm probably going to get an h4 bucket like the one in that link since it kills 3 birds with one stone.
  • It's going to provide more light in a safe and legal manner.
  • It's going to be a nice looking new part that doesn't detract from the vintage styling
  • It's going to make replacing the bulb trivial and inexpensive

Thank you for digging up the link to the h4 bucket. Only thing I'm curious about is whether or not my wiring will fit inside.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
boogiesg said:
The same guy on ebay has this one for $0.95 more. It's all chrome and 7" wide at the mounting points.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/head...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item53e23d5359

I really dislike meeting another bike or a car for that matter on a two lane that has one of those modified HID systems or Xenon arc lamps. If they are on the inside of a downhill turn it's blinding even in the day time. Just one of many reasons why they are illegal in the US. Don't take my word for it though... http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/files/deetz.ztv.html

I'm probably going to get an h4 bucket like the one in that link since it kills 3 birds with one stone.
  • It's going to provide more light in a safe and legal manner.
  • It's going to be a nice looking new part that doesn't detract from the vintage styling
  • It's going to make replacing the bulb trivial and inexpensive
Thank you for digging up the link to the h4 bucket. Only thing I'm curious about is whether or not my wiring will fit inside.
Thanks for the info, didn't know the HIDs were dangerous! Guess they would give you a great daylight view of the other guy swerving off the road :lol:

About the h4 bucket link, did you notice the mounting thread is only 10mm!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts