Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at por 15 aluminum. it's $20 for 8 oz and it can be brushed or sprayed on.
my current situation. I bought a 1980 cb400t stock the exhaust is solid. there is rust on the inside(close to frame) of the outside both headers but surface only. the collector box is solid. the previous owner let acid leak onto the right muffler so no more chrome. I am not looking to put a lot into the old girl. I paid $500 for a bike with 27k it's good and solid but not a show piece I am planning on spraying it this winter with new paint. I bought it to ride maybe get a set of used bags and a windscreen and really ride.
Having said this, I would like it to look a little better. and even if I am looking at 2 cans of por 15 much better on cost then jet coating. I have por 15 epoxy coated the inside of a bike tank before It came out great.

So, my question is has anyone ever tried to por 15 pipes before?

any feedback is helpful
Mortikan

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
i agree i've used their products before and had great luck, but i've never heard of their applications with heat.

I would look into jet coating as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jet coating is a bit cost prohibitive so the 1400 degrees claimed heat of the por 15 aluminum at 19 bucks for the 8 oz sounds ok with me. the pipes are solid but have rust on the inside area of the header. I am going to use the grinder and smooth it out and paint them. I will have to keep everyone posted I have the idea that this is a winter project i am planning on painting the old girl as well so I think I will take her out of service in november or so and do the work over a few weeks. I am thinkin g I might take the carbs off and clean them.

we all have wish lists

cheers Mortikan

·
Registered
1 Posts
Por 15 does make a high temp product that has worked well for me when applied to mufflers, tail-pipes and headers on air-cooled engines. I always use it when installing an "aftermarket" (cheap) exhaust component because I observe that is significantly reduces or slows down corrosion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts