Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I got all new cables for my current CL350 project and I am looking for a solid answer. I have a guy locally that can shorten my brake and clutch cables, I had him do my cafe racer and he did a great job. I am going to have him do my brake and clutch cables on this one to accommodate for the lower bars and lowered forks, but I need to shorten the speedo, and maybe the tach cable too.

I have brand new motion pro cables for all of the above, and I looked and their aren't any cables out there (for any honda models) that are any shorter then the ones I have.

On my cafe, I use a stock tack cable, which will probably work fine here... and then I used another tach cable for my speedo, but that solution isn't long enough here. Like I said, I am going to have the clutch an brake professionally shortened.

Is there a way to shorten the speedo and tach cables? It looks like one end has just been crimped into a square shape, but because of the end fittings on the housing it seems like I would need to remove the inner cable, cut the housing somewhere near the end (probably the speedo end and not the hub end, on the speedo cable) and then maybe shrinkwrap them back together or something.

Any guidence you guys can offer would be great.

Thanks,
Woody

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Yes Woody, it can be done.... The inner needs to be removed, shortened, spot brazed on the end, and " re-squared"....... The outer end can be cut off, the coil pulled (unwound) from inside it, and then can be reshaped round by pressing on a steel rod. It can then be recrimped on the shortened outer jacket.......(trim rubber jacket about 1/2" to bare steel coils to get max insertion for recrimping)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Outer end being the end that connects to the hub/tach drive? I.e. NOT the gauge end?

Thanks for the info... luckily cables are pretty cheap, so if I eff them up I can get another one.

- Woody

66Sprint said:
Yes Woody, it can be done.... The inner needs to be removed, shortened, spot brazed on the end, and " re-squared"....... The outer end can be cut off, the coil pulled (unwound) from inside it, and then can be reshaped round by pressing on a steel rod. It can then be recrimped on the shortened outer jacket.......(trim rubber jacket about 1/2" to bare steel coils to get max insertion for recrimping)

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Woody....Inner and outer are in reference to the parts of the cable....inner is the actual cable, outer is the steel coil with rubber cover "jacket".... either "fitting" can be removed from the outer....the one at the meter emd is usually easier....

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the clarification. Coming from a past working in the bicycle industry (almost 8 years in a shop through high school and college) I'm used to referring to inner as the "cable" and outer as the "housing". So when you said outer end I thought you meant the hub end.

I'm gonna give it a whirl tomorrow.

- Woody

66Sprint said:
Woody....Inner and outer are in reference to the parts of the cable....inner is the actual cable, outer is the steel coil with rubber cover "jacket".... either "fitting" can be removed from the outer....the one at the meter emd is usually easier....

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you're unsuccessful, I've heard you can buy cables from Motion Pro at whatever length you need. Just subtract a few inches from your stock length, depending on old/new bars.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts