Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my bike is a sealed beam it seems pretty much like I lack and good options for brighter output. Has anyone made non-sealed beam lights for their bikes? If so, can you explain, or show some pictures?

thanks!

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I don't know where you are from but a guess as you've got a seald beam you are in the US. In Europe we have replacement Halogen H4 units like the one on my 450 that give these old bikes modern lighting. I've also got the original Stanley unit but in Europe they have a separate bulb (not sealed beam).

[attachment=0:mjspw69g]P5044397.JPG[/attachment:mjspw69g]

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah I'm in the US...Florida to be exact. You're talking about exactly what I want...a replaceable bulb unit.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I've modified several different Honda assemblies to use Halogen bulbs......Hard part is finding an existing one the right size.... Suzuki 400 single headlight worked/modded for my 350.... I used an aftermarket harley one ($35 new) to mod for the 175 (in a 160 shell)

Wasn't too hard to do....("w" spring clips are helpful....LOL)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats sweet! I did however wind up just ordering a conversion for a pretty cheap price. I asked this same question on another forum and someone gave me this link:

http://store.candlepower.com/ca53mohe.html

I'm hoping this will work well, since I will now have options for brighter bulbs (although I still went with a 45w bulb because of the electric system.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
pawn said:
I'm hoping this will work well, since I will now have options for brighter bulbs (although I still went with a 45w bulb because of the electric system.
Good idea to use a 45W bulb as the charging system is not that powerful on the 450. I use a 35W H4 bulb in mine.
Looks like you found a really good deal on the headlamp. It's got to be really good quality when you read the text (look at the text in bold): :D

"Bosch 7" H4 Headlamp — Incredible Deal!This premium genuine Bosch 7" (180mm) headlamp lens-reflector unit is DOT certified to the SAE J584 motorcycle headlamp standard, revision 76, for use throughout the United States, Canada, and all other countries where traffic drives on the right-hand side of the road and SAE/DOT headlamps are permitted or required. The reflector is Swedish; the lens and final assembly are German. Heat-compensating aluminum bulb seat, steel reflector, and hard glass lens. Includes silicone rubber seal boot."

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ha, nice. I figure I could go a bit higher on the wattage since the tailight and headlight are the only lights I'm running...I don't have gauges or turn signals, but I stuck at 45 just to be safe. Good thing now is if I feel like it I can just change the bulb to a whiter unit. I got this because I wanted to place a yellow film over the headlight, yet still have the light appear as white as possible so I don't run into any legal issues.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts