Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Car

Wall Brick Sculpture Art Metal

I've got this xt250 which appears to have had Igor and Victor Frankenstein working on it.
Hope my pics appear
Two simple questions, can anyone give me the length of the side stand, as my bike seems to lean over a lot. I might be wrong, maybe that's the correct angle, there doesn't seem to be much wear or play in the side stand pivot.
Second question. The exhaust seems to have three fixing points for the last muffler protector. My bike has a cover which only covers two of the screws, leaving one obviously unattached. All the pics I see of 250's from that era have a two fixing muffler protector. Can anyone tell me which bike this exhaust might be from?
Thanks

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found it had a look, but can't track the other exhaust. Also tried Fowlers in the UK who show microfiche and no luck.
I just thought several eyes see more than one - oculi plus vident quam oculus. You guys have helped me so much with stuff already. Must be somebody with an xt250g

·
Registered
703 Posts
Found a picture of an '81 Xt with what looks like a 3 bolt fixing for the leg-guard - looks very similar to yours:

Yamaha XT 250 1981 Specs and Photos

Might just be different tail-pipes for different markets perhaps. I know some of the US market enduro bikes would have different silencers to the UK bikes for example, to cater for things like different dB limits, and things like compulsory spark-protectors for use in desert/dry scrub terrain.

edit: dunno about the original stand length, but if the wheels or forks have been changed, or a longer rear shock fitted - raising the bike a couple of inches can change the way it sits/how far it leans when it's on the stand. May also not be the original stand btw, as lots of enduro riders took them off.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So got this from Fowlers Yamaha UK. I spotted a part number on the exhaust. Not great news, but progress. Just thought I'd share.

Footwear Shoe Muffler
Hi Brian

Well, the 3Y3 tells us that it is the correct exhaust for the XT250.

The bad news is that none of the parts catalogues we have checked that use the 3Y3 exhaust use that 3 bolt heatshield, despite the 3 fixings.

They all use the 2 bolt type that you already have, which obviously means you are left with a surplus fitting point.

The reason for this could well be that the exhaust part numbers have superseded over the years to the same number, which is 3Y31471161. The original part number could have been one that just had the 2 bolt fixing, but, at some point, rather than continue to produce 2 exhausts that are essentially the same with the exception of the number of fixings, they changed the number over to the 3 bolt one.

Sorry Brian but I am not sure what else to suggest. We've checked all the catalogues we can think of, and tried searching for a possible part number using the part coding system, with no luck. It is possible that the 3 bolt shield was only used for a couple of specific markets when the bike was new, which may explain why it is not shown anywhere except on the MotoProfi pages.

·
Registered
703 Posts
You got the answer from Fowlers on the exhaust surely - yours is off an XT 250 deigned and sold for one particular market - no ?

(If you don't like the extra tab sticking out there btw, you could either Dremel it off, or get somebody to fabricate up a longer 3 bolt cover.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts