Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My chain has a lot of slack. About 2-3 inches of vertical travel.

Can I get the new chain and temporarily link the old chain to the new chain and just feed it through?

·
Registered
641 Posts
Yes just connect the 2 chains together with old masterlink. Rotate tire and hand feed new chain on and old chain off.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
This of course does NOT allow you to inspect the countershaft sprocket for wear that may reduce your new chain to old junk in short order.......

IF your wheel/axle is all the way back at its limits AND you have that much slack, either the chain has too many links, OR EVERYTHING is very worn......

Chain and BOTH sprockets should be considered ONE functional unit and replaced as such when necessary.....

Shortcuts like that can cause serious damage or injury, especially considering the current trend to eliminate the chainguards..... Just my two cents....

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Gotta agree with Steve; if you have 3 INCHES of travel (how has that not destroyed your chainguard yet?) there is something mighty amiss. Chains and sprockets should be changed as a set, IMHO. I broke a worn chain on the highway and it wrapped around the swingarm. Skidding to a stop from 80mph will make you reconsider your maintenance routine, I tell ya :)

Want to save some money? You can go to your local farm supply and get #50 chain for about $30 and cut it yourself. It is the equivalent of #530H with no O-ring!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Having missed adjusting the chain it might be prudent to start, in a systemic manner, checking torques and clearances on everything. Too be sure you haven't missed something else.

Are your sprockets and chain in good shape?

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Maybe a dumb question, but why the hesitation to remove the cover? Are the screw/bolt heads damaged?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts