Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first flat today! Fortunately I wasn't on the bike when it happened. Unfortunately it was at a rest stop in eastern Oregon at 106 degrees! My wife was able to scoot away on her bike and get me a tow home.
Hopefully I can get a new tube put in my rear tire in the morning. I already removed the wheel without much trouble. This is my first time removing a wheel, and I'm wonding if there's any special tips for making sure I get it back on straight.
Thanks for any tricks anyone can offer!
This is a '73 CL350, BTW.

Sent from my SM-T337T using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Be sure to put the axle spacers on the correct sides. There's a small dimple/indent on the top surface of each axle adjuster, that should be lined up on each side with the stamped index marks on the swing arm. You may end up in between marks so eyeball it as close as possible on each side. Be sure you have at least 5/8" free play in the chain, measured by lifting the chain in the bottom middle. Be sure to tighten the axle nut and the brake panel stay nut plus cotter pins.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I used to agonize over the alignment to make it perfectly lined up - til I saw what other people were running and mine was just fine in comparison. Also take a felt pen and mark 1 side of each of the adjuster bolts, easier to turn them both equal I find.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Need PICS of that CL :) Here is mine after my chain adjustment today. Feels better with not too much slack in the chain. Insert pun.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Fuel tank

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pretty thing! My chain was due for an adjustment too.
No recent pics. Here's one I took about a month ago with my Yashica-Mat EM. I think we're gonna ride out to some sand dunes tomorrow morning. Should make for some great photos. I might even snap a couple cell phone pics just so I won't have to wait for developing!

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Remember that in sand the is no front brake, unless you like picking yourself and the bike up. Also the chain will need a through cleaning when done, sand is a great abrasive for chewing up the sprockets and chain.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've heard using a 8foot Florecent light bulb works nice... lay it against the rear wheel and it will show you how it aligns with the front wheel.... I've heard a 2x4 works... but the bulb is pretty much a guaranteed "straight edge"...

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I've heard using a 8foot Florecent light bulb works nice... lay it against the rear wheel and it will show you how it aligns with the front wheel.... I've heard a 2x4 works... but the bulb is pretty much a guaranteed "straight edge"...
You could eyeball it using that method but remember that the rear tire is usually wider than the front, so while it would be square to the rear tire it would stand out away from the front tire a bit and then you'd need to establish a parallel line between the side of the front tire and the 8 foot tube. What we used to do back in the day was have someone ride the bike straight toward you and lean down and sight the wheels as it approaches straight, or do the same as it rides away from you

·
Registered
315 Posts
Back in the day while drag racing my CL450, I had the opportunity to remove the rear tire many times in an effort to gain the most traction possible and I always just "Eyeballed" it. I put the bike on the main stand
and looked down the chain to the countershaft sprocket and tried to align the rear sprocket in line with the front one. I never paid any attention to the factory alignment marks. Never had an issue in over a year of flat out racing as fast as I could as well as running flat out on the interstate. I made sure to replace the stock swing-arm bushings with upgraded ones though.

Reactions: BildoNC

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just used the markers to straighten it out. Been riding it the past couple days and it doesn't feel any different than it did before!
Thanks for the tips about riding in sand. I don't plan to do any serious all terrain trekking, but at least I'm better prepared for it now!

On another note, anyone know of an easy way to get tire sealant crud off my wheel and tire? When I was stuck on the side of the road, a good samaritan gave me a can of sealant to try and get me going. All it did was leak out around my valve stem and get all over my tire and wheel. Looks a lot like rubber cement. I'm conidering just riding it until it wears off on its own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.