Honda Twins banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not really happy with how bulky the stock brake master cylinder is on my handle bars. Is there any options out there for a smaller more compact master cylinder? Maybe something from a dirt bike?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm running one off of a late 90's Honda 125. works pretty good and doesn't leak. the lever is a little shorter than a CB stocker though, I haven't found a solid match that works just yet, but the short one doesn't really bother me

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'd love to see it as well. Was it trial and error that you came to use this, or are the specs really similar to the cb450's?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I will try and take a pic tonight.

When I started, I was mainly looking for a modern master that fed into a single caliper. Dirtbikes are almost the only options that fit the bill, so I gave one a shot. And it worked!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok cool. Now is the brake line the same fitment on that as the stock or did you have to get one made?

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
if you want something with a longer lever there are several street bikes that have a single rotor that will work, like the Honda Hawk NT650 or the Kawasaki EX500 or EX250s just to name a few.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
I'm curious, why is the chrome bracket on the handlebar clamp mounted upside down?

·
Registered
145 Posts
MNellis said:
I'm curious, why is the chrome bracket on the handlebar clamp mounted upside down?

good question.....

I really don't have a good answer. It was like that when I first picked up the bike and I never changed it. Hell, I even had the bars off at one point and it went back the same way :lol:

·
Registered
36 Posts
(I'm assuming this is an ignorant question, but) why does it need to be a master cylinder that feeds into a single caliper? Don't they (almost) all a banjo bolt in the end of them? MikesXS has a caliper they list as a "Early Dual Disc Master Cylinder" with a 22mm bore, and it looks a whole lot like the stock 450 master cylinder. (http://www.mikesxs.net/products-71.html#products) I can't tell if it's smaller, but would it work?

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
the bore size of the piston in a master cylinder determines how much fluid is pushed. two calipers take almost twice as much fluid to move the pistons as a single caliper. traditional master sylinders tend to be around 13mm bore for single calipers and 18mm - 20mm for dual calipers. If you put a 20mm on a single caliper you will have almost no feel at the leaver and the brakes will feel hard as a rock and like they are eather on or off

·
Registered
36 Posts
of course! got it, thanks. even without wanting/needing to downsize, the bores on the originals seem to get scored enough so that new pistons and seals don't make much of a difference. meaning used ones on ebay seem a little risky. And they're all NLA anyway...
speaking of smaller replacements, though, CB750supply.com has a non-OEM unit (PN 08-0262: http://www.cb750supply.com/products/2/c ... ders-parts) that looks pretty small, is brand new, and has the added benefit of an integral light switch that'd allow for the removal of the original switch (and its two extra fittings, banjo bolts, etc.). i think a pair of extra wires off the handlebar switch would be worth the cleaner plumbing...?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that's really awesome! I'm going to get that I think. I would up just ordering some stainless lines and relegating myself to the stock setup for the lever, but I've been wanting either a smaller setup (hence this thread) or a blacked out handlebar setup...this takes care of both! I just ordered a small black mirror from licks as well, so I'm on my way. Thanks for pointing that out!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts