Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Great "first" bikes for new riders!! Will swear by them all day long!
I tell new riders, "yeah, they are small, and you WILL want a bigger bike. HOWEVER, you can easily sell it for what you bought it for after you get your endorsmant and pass the riding portion of the test..providing you don't wreck it..
Or dump a bunch of money into it for a Ex-girlfriend..

·
Registered
6 Posts
That looks really familiar, like I saw it on FB marketplace located not far from where i live, lol... I have an '86 Honda Rebel 450 in the garage right now. Unfortunately, its suffering from one of this bikes major design flaws: a malfunctioning starter clutch. On most bikes, thats not a big deal... Big deal with the Rebel 450 as said starter clutch assembly is located INSIDE the engine case and with the bike being sans kick-start, one must crack the case halves in order to access the crankshaft and subsequently the starter clutch itself. To add insult to injury, the entire assembly is not available new anymore. Springs and rollers can be found, at a price, but if the larger parts of the assembly are worn/damaged its time to start thinking outside the box.
My 450 is also suffering from another common ailment to this bike: a faulty CDI box in the ignition system. These are also unavailable from Honda, but Jack's Rebel Warehouse has them available most of the time or can repair yours I believe. I have also read of a company producing replicas in China(?) maybe, but I would rather give my $ to Jack, personally. He helps keep a lot of us on the road and he's an American. I think they run about $100.
Overall, I really enjoy riding the Rebel 450. It really grew on me and I've missed it ever since it had to be garaged. In its place I have been riding an '82 Honda CM450 Custom. Believing it to be the predecessor to my Rebel I think my expectations of the CM450 were a little high. While its still fun to ride, it lacks any and all refinements possessed by the Rebel. Felt like going from a nice, well-maintained newer Accord to an early 90's CRX with a miss, riding on the original, oem suspension lol...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a spare rebel 450 engine with a starter clutch gone
where do you think I should looks for a rebuild kit of sort
tks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts