Honda Twins banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, are there any significant detrimental effects with running the CB360 OEM (or New OEM-style) air filters without the plastic air box cover? This would be for the early style air filters (larger ones).

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
As with all Hondas since I've been involved, most times the airbox itself is ducted to create a certain level of resistance for a reason. The cover over the filters is only open in one area, so if you remove the covers it will allow the filter to have full access to airflow from all sides with less resistance. It might not make much difference in this case, but it certainly does on some models

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As with all Hondas since I've been involved, most times the airbox itself is ducted to create a certain level of resistance for a reason. The cover over the filters is only open in one area, so if you remove the covers it will allow the filter to have full access to airflow from all sides with less resistance. It might not make much difference in this case, but it certainly does on some models
Makes sense. I guess I will find out when I eventually get the bike started up after the rebuild. If I find myself chasing my tail on fiddling with the carburetors, I will try checking eBay for a set of air boxes.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It might run a bit lean, but sometimes in the past I've had good luck with minor intake changes like that. Every bike is different, even ones of the same model sometimes, but in the past I've gotten a slight performance increase when replacing the stock air filter with a K&N in the same box (SOHC 750s) and even opening up the inlet area on the 750 airbox too, a little at a time, checking it as I went with plug chops. Leaner runs faster as long as you don't go too lean and damage parts!

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
The airboxes are designed to allow the correct flow through the intake tracts at each rpm,they are part of the 'tuned intake tracts' which are set-up to work together with your stock CV carbs. by the engineers at Honda;The CV slides may lift at a different rate.I imagine you will lose some low-midrange response in your powerband but possibly gain just a hair of top-end,in other words it may take you longer to get up to top-end rpms imo.
I would try it and then have a friend time you on acceleration from a standing start w/ a stopwatch.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well you guys convinced me. I found a set of pretty cheap on eBay. Just needs a fresh coat of paint. Better safe than sorry!

Reactions: JamesPal

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Krukster -

Where have you been? Haven't seen you in a while.
Oh you know...here and there...

I fell off the face of the Earth....er....this forum in the early 2010's when the CB360 was pretty much running more or less tip top. Got married, got a house, got a dog. Fast forward to Spring of 2017:
CB360 didn't start. Eventually poked and prodded and got it to run. Took it for a ride around town. After about 3-5 miles, I heard a backfire and felt a sudden loss of power. Turns out I had a backfire through my carburetor and lit my UNI foam filters on fire and burned part of my bike (battery, battery box, wiring harness, singed frame, singed carburetors, singed sidecovers).
I needed to take a break and wheeled the CB360 to the back of the garage to enjoy riding my other bikes that summer. In the fall of 2017, I decided to rebuild the CB360 from a bare frame. I started up a new project thread on that.

I got pretty far in the project. All that is left is finishing up fuel system installation, ignition timing, adding fluids and carb tuning. However project is on the backburner since I was put on a field assignment on the east coast for 3 months...and possibly followed by a 1 year assignment to Georgia after...

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was running a set of ratty wrapped headers with MAC exhausts. Ditched those and I have installed relatively nice stock headers and cleaned up a set of OEM mufflers.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What exhaust you running ?
Original Honda CB360 Exhaust.

Update: Bought a set of super cheap (aka rusty) airbox covers. Some aircraft remover + light sanding and paint and they look good as new!

Reactions: 83XLX

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What a beaut you have there! :D someday...
Thanks! Ugh...I can't wait for the day that I get to start it up for the first time...and then unveil another mess of problems :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Can someone explain how the air filter fits into the box? My son just purchased a 75 CB360 & I'm going over it for him. After removing the airbox side cover I tried to take the filter out but met with quite a bit of resistance. I stopped, didn't want to pull something apart.

·
Registered
555 Posts
There are two bolts, one in the center of the metal housing and one in the top rear corner of it - the center one holds the housing on, and the corner one holds the filter. You’ll need to loosen the clamp seating the rubber mouth from the filter box to the carbs as well. If it’s been sitting for awhile, that one might take a little gentle working to get the rubber loose. From there, it’ll all come out as a unit.

There’s a slot somewhere along the open edge of the housing that you’ll be able to see once it’s out. A small tab on the filter metal fits into it, but I find it’s more a formality than providing any actual holding power.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There are two bolts, one in the center of the metal housing and one in the top rear corner of it - the center one holds the housing on, and the corner one holds the filter. You’ll need to loosen the clamp seating the rubber mouth from the filter box to the carbs as well. If it’s been sitting for awhile, that one might take a little gentle working to get the rubber loose. From there, it’ll all come out as a unit.

There’s a slot somewhere along the open edge of the housing that you’ll be able to see once it’s out. A small tab on the filter metal fits into it, but I find it’s more a formality than providing any actual holding power.
Got it, thanks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts