Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
854 Posts
Why do you need to know(just curious)? If you wanna replace them get EBC pads, if not ride and be happy.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you need to know(just curious)? If you wanna replace them get EBC pads, if not ride and be happy.
Curious...but, I am trying to get the most out these 40+ year old brakes. With all the metallic bits in it I'm hoping they are sintered since they have plenty of life on them. New pads are cheap too though. And after putting on a stainless braided line & smaller master cylinder the performance still isn't what I'd hoped for.

·
Banned
854 Posts
40+ year old brakes will never be good regardless of which pads you use, I guess yours could be glazed so perhaps a new set would improve things a bit. I switched out the single piston caliper on my CX500 to a dual piston version from an 82 CB450 and that gave me better braking, my 74' CB 450 has the original set up and it works as designed which isn't great.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I wish it had a more traditional (or current?) attachment point for the caliper...then it would be an easier deal to fit different calipers. But I think I'll have better braking after the caliper rebuild. It was leaking fluid through the seal, contaminating the disc/pad. Only option now would be to fit an entire front end from another bike & I don't think my son will have that budget.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
The master cylinder could be wore out too. The piston has seals and a bore that should be in good condition or you won't build the pressure up. You could try sanding up the disc and pad. Make sure there's ventilation. Old brake lines could be spongy too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The master cylinder could be wore out too. The piston has seals and a bore that should be in good condition or you won't build the pressure up. You could try sanding up the disc and pad. Make sure there's ventilation. Old brake lines could be spongy too.
I appreciate the possible problems list...but that aint it :) Scuffed the rotor with 120 grit. I know the master is good & I just installed a stainless line & replaced the piston & seal to deal with a leak. Joker still leaks & the only thing left to replace now is the caliper itself. Maybe 4th times a charm.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will the 450 nighthawk caliper fit the CB360 wheel?
No idea...but my leaking issues are fixed. Fourth time was a charm...guess the master cylinder had some microscopic flaws to it. It's all good now. Sucks that I'm still stuck with mediocre brakes for all the trouble though.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Will the 450 nighthawk caliper fit the CB360 wheel?
Very doubtful, caliper bolts direct to fork leg and rotor is thinner than 360 (I think 5mm instead of 7mm?)
Pads are 'semi-sintered'with bronze particles could be EBC, Ferodo, Dunlop, Girling, etc. Not a cheap 'off-brand' I used 'semi-sintered' (probably just a marketing term?) in my 550. Worked well and don't wear out too fast (around 5,000 miles a pair)

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I would replace your master cylinder with an aftermarket unit . Even rebuilt, the OEM MC wasn't all that great to begin with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts