Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pulling the tabs off the tank from where the honda logo was in preparation to bondo the indentation smooth,and the damn tab pulled a hole in the tank.

Bondo or JB weld to fill hole?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I have a welder and am known to do dangerous things so I would weld it up. :roll:
If you are smarter than me and wanted it welded by someone that was an expert at it take it to an old time radiator shop and then have them seal it for you.
Don

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Agreed. That is not a difficult fix if the person doing it is well-versed in all the requirements to do it safely.

It also doesn't hurt if that person is unmarried and without children. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
No Bondo...

·
Premium Member
7,865 Posts
bondo will last a month or less and JB weld will last a few months...do it right and weld it...

before you take a tourch to it tough fill it with water completely and drain it a few times.
any residual fumes will cause it to explode. you also want to remove the petcock and open the gas cap when you weld so pressure doesn't build up in side and distort the tank.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
I would always suggest welding by a "good welder", i.e one that takes precautions, like washing out all traces of fuel before starting.

I have had two tanks welded. My current Bomber has a welded hole which needed a weld app 100mm in diameter. Its perfect and with a chemical clear out of the rust, rather than covering it with "gunge", its as good as new.

Petrol is a solvent and will eventually get into most resins which means that will then be deposited into your carbs.
Best of luck with you tank which ever way you decide to go.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
I would always suggest welding by a "good welder", i.e one that takes precautions, like washing out all traces of fuel before starting.

I have had two tanks welded. My current Bomber has a welded hole which needed a weld app 100mm in diameter. Its perfect and with a chemical clear out of the rust, rather than covering it with "gunge", its as good as new.

Petrol is a solvent and will eventually get into most resins which means that will then be deposited into your carbs.
Best of luck with you tank which ever way you decide to go.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took everyone's advice and dropped off the tank to the welder yesterday. Should have it back by friday

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I love to weld. I wish I was good at it. It always seems like I get decent at welding on the last bead of a job. I would be very interested in seeing the welded tank also. I bet you are very happy with it.
Don

1 - 13 of 13 Posts