Honda Twins banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
By the way, I've also seen some outright rude commenting on forums as well, although I agree that they are better screened.
absolutely - including actual cursing at someone - which is what makes this one so much better than the rest, and why I lobby often (along with LDR and others) to keep it that way when noobs or lurkers join and start acting like they might elsewhere

·
Registered
17 Posts
I post as well on the 305 forum as HamamatsuNippon. Lets hope Mr. Stoic decides to fix the spammer issue, and returns the forum to us. My assumption is if the spammers are not eliminated then a lot of 305 guys may move here. It's a shame we lost VJMOG as well.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I post as well on the 305 forum as HamamatsuNippon. Lets hope Mr. Stoic decides to fix the spammer issue, and returns the forum to us. My assumption is if the spammers are not eliminated then a lot of 305 guys may move here. It's a shame we lost VJMOG as well.
Well, if they move here, let's hope they understand the Forum Decorum in this place - never spent any time at the 305 forum but hopefully they conduct themselves in a similar manner as we do here

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/23-member-introductions/121120-critical-read-before-posting.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for checking in, bentwheel. I haven't given up on the Honda305 forum yet; there's always hope that something positive might happen. If it does not fail completely and disappear from the Internet, I just cannot say whether any of the membership will migrate here; there's so much 305 specific reference material on the old site, as well as on-going restoration projects - mine included - that it would be hard to just leave it behind. I don't think it could be replicated anywhere.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
In these times, it seems like there should be a way to copy the threads there and save them somehow
It might be possible, but far, far beyond my computer knowledge. I would imagine that photos stored in the 305 forum database and not linked to a photo hosting site would be lost.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Honda305 members that have checked in, I'm going to send you a friend request so that we might rally if something happens.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Honda305 members that have checked in, I'm going to send you a friend request so that we might rally if something happens.
I'm here but not sure what type of friend request you're referring to. I have a fb acct but have not posted or used it in about three years and have no intention of using fb in the future. I checked my "friend" box on this forum but it was empty. Not sure whether that's a reflexion on me or the fact that I'm just not a very active member of the forum. I use this forum as well as the 305 forum mainly for research through the search function. I just don't have the depth of knowledge to contribute much to the community. I gain much more from these forums than I contribute. People such as LM on the 305 forum are the types that keep things going. His willingness to impart all his well earned knowledge to guys like me is what keeps guys like me coming back for more. Is there any type of appeal process to the powers that be when the host (Stoic) goes MIA? If he's totally abandoned the site then why wouldn't it be possible to reassign host duties and responsibilities to someone else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Tim and ahenthus, friend requests sent (on this forum). ahenthus, if the site owner has indeed abandoned the site, there is no recourse. Only he has the administrator user name and password necessary to access the software. In addition, he owns the domain name and the account with the forum host.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Just noticed that the 2 Stroke World Forum has officially died off too. It was a fairly large site, mostly used for Yamaha RD cafe builders.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yes, I've been on here for a few years but don't visit often as, until recently, the content on Honda305.com site was of much more interest to me.

DJM

UK
I am also part of the Honda 305 forum and have been for a long time, just hadn't been on anywhere, as much as I used to. I enjoyed the forums over there too, but the activity had slowed quite a bit, except for a few members. A lot of good info and posts there and I hate to see it go down. Thankfully, the folks here, a few years back, have really worked this place over & it certainly is apparent that the effort was & still is here, to keep it straight. ;)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Thanks to all that have replied since my last post.

Rizingson, I agree that forums, in general, are losing their luster and that many members only lurk. Still, I have a great deal of time invested in the Honda305 forum and I hate seeing all of my posts disappear, as they surely will. Most importantly, however, there's a wealth of knowledge stored on that site that I would like to see preserved, not only for me, but for those coming up. I do follow groups on Facebook that focus on Honda 305s and other classics - 8 of them - and have seen and "liked" your posts on some. You do great work and have an impressive collection. Still, the Facebook groups are much like the forums in that they have many lurkers and only the occasional post of substance. People react quicker with "likes" and small comments. Many times the comments are snarky or are just of the "me too, look at my bike, it's just like yours" variety.

ahenthus, there's really nothing to update on the 305 forum. One member found a way to contact the forum owner indirectly through another party. He was told that Mr. Stoic was aware of the site's problems, but nothing more has happened. I don't expect that it will.
I too, enjoyed the forum over there and got some great info, off and on, also picked up on some great folks as well. I also saw that Stoic was contacted, but as you said, he didn't offer anything. No phone number could be gotten, to try to work something out either. There were a few who would have tried to save it, if they could have gotten cooperation from Stoic, but he just didn't seem to care. Really a shame, for sure.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Well, if they move here, let's hope they understand the Forum Decorum in this place - never spent any time at the 305 forum but hopefully they conduct themselves in a similar manner as we do here

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/23-member-introductions/121120-critical-read-before-posting.html
Tom it's ben quite awhile since I was on the 305 very much, but, for the most part, the best I remember, they were pretty decent. I did have an issue once, with one guy, but as I remember I think it was a misunderstanding. And that can happen pretty easily, as you now, when communicating through a P.C. on a forum post or a text. But, that's just from my experience, some time back.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I haven't been on here in a while, since I only have one twin and the 305 forum was bike specific.
There is a lot of good info on the 305 site but it looks like it is going the route of the Titantic.
There are and were some very knowledgeable members there, and it would be sad to lose contact with them as the site dies.
I recognize some names here already and that is good!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just noticed that the 2 Stroke World Forum has officially died off too. It was a fairly large site, mostly used for Yamaha RD cafe builders.
Looks like the Suzuki 2 stroke forum (www.suzuki2strokes.com) just bit the dust also....just as I am getting ready to start on my T500!:(

Edit.....looks like it is back up now

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah,very oldtime 305 site member. Even bought one of the Stoic electronic ignitions from him. Made a lot of contributions to that site but lost touch when I was made an offer I couldn't refuse for my CB77 in 2008. Thankfully, this site does seem to be active and a mine of information on the later twins. Have to admit, I could take a CB77 apart, in the dark, with my teeth, but, looking back, my CB250K2 never needed anything more than plugs and oil changes, so I'm learning my way around, what is now, 50 year old metal.
Hopefully, this site will continue in good health for a long while.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was also a member a few years back and since I am now back in the CL77 business I tried to get back on. Of course my old log in would not work since I have had an email change through the years and had no idea of my old password. I tried to re-register and got no response at all to activate membership. You guys are right, it was a good site and I used it frequently when I had a total of four CL77's in the garage. As a very old fart who still to this day carries a flip phone and who has no idea on how to and why I would ever log onto Facebook or any other form of social media, I am fully prepared to accept the consequences. I enjoy a good hunt to find a solution to an issue, and as long as the site is still there there is always the search feature.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 305 forum may be bot free now. Check it out. It'll probably take a while to get things back up to normal but if the bots are actually gone it'll be worth it to save the site. It's been a valuable asset to us for years and shouldn't be allowed to die.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts