Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the Honda305 forum seems to be floundering, I wonder if any of its regular posters are also members here. Please check in.

Seadog

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Yep, wish they could cure that spam epidemic.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I've only visited the 305 forum a couple of times, don't have much experience there. It's amazing how many sites are overcome with spam and/or discouraging attitudes. I found a drag racing post from another forum during a search the other night and really enjoyed the thread, so I went to join the site and found their attitude - and a recent change to "American and British bikes only" - to be disappointing. They actually required you to tell them what brand of bikes you own and make a short bio before you could even finalize joining. One thing they have right though... their system, which visually appears to be the exact same structure we have here, points you directly to the Introduction area before you can post anywhere else (as in, it won't allow you post anything else until you do). I made that suggestion to the admins here a few months ago but they said they had bigger issues with the transition that was going on and though it was a good idea, it would be a while before it could be implemented

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Spent some time on the 305 site for info from Bill silvers books and Cds and other items. Did not like the forum nor spend much time there. If you do much work on 305s IMHO his books are a must have.

Bill

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Been a member of honda305.com, since April of 2006, among others. Lots of good info there. Only hope that things get resolved, to correct the Spam problem. I have been a member of a few other places, that ended up going under and lost some great friends that way.

BTW, lots of good info here, as well. To me, there is always the possibility of being able to find out some things, at different places, that might not be realized, at any other forum & it all comes together that way, if you see what I mean? Anyway, I like to cover all the bases, in case of there being a part or issue that one person, from any forum, might have come across & others hadn't. So, we ALL could benefit, by learning from others from other forums as well & pass it on. After all, we ALL are on these forums, for the same basic reasons, right?

Reactions: Seadog

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies. I recognize Mike because he uses the same forum name there, as do I. bill440cars, you must use something different.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've been a member on Honda305 for several years. The spam plague there has made me steer away from it, however. The site administrator is in absentia, doing nothing about the spam problem. It is very frustrating to have to scroll through 5 pages of spam per topic per day just to find a real post. I imagine that quite a few members there are also on here. Jensen comes to mind...

Reactions: Seadog

·
Registered
473 Posts
Very few forums, this one excluded, have significant activity anymore. As I predicted a couple of years ago when photobucket and other picture hosting sites banned hot-linking (unless you paid a ransom), many forums would die off. That along with the percentage of lurkers being well over 90%. Most forums are now accessed through a search engine while looking for a way to fix a problem, with some forums that have been around for a decade or more, there's a good chance their searches will be successful (thus no need to join or contribute.) I used to be very active on about a dozen forums including honda305, but with a few rare exceptions have left the scene, although not my passion for vintage bikes. I no longer had the desire to post solutions or other informative input (rarely would I ever ask a question as I'm capable in most cases to figure it out on my own) just to have it end the thread with no feedback as to whether it helped the OP or not. I know there will be a lot of scoffing, but I've moved all my activity to closed groups, specific to models on facebook. Yes there's even a Honda 250 - 305 group as well as 450's. It does have some formatting drawbacks for certain types of posts, such as build threads and ongoing problems, but the backfeed is almost instant. As with any forum you still have to separate the BS from fact. Now when posting on facebook you can get a hundred responses in a day and need to stay on top of it, while on a forum you can put up a post and check back in a week to see if anyone even saw it.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Very few forums, this one excluded, have significant activity anymore. As I predicted a couple of years ago when photobucket and other picture hosting sites banned hot-linking (unless you paid a ransom), many forums would die off. That along with the percentage of lurkers being well over 90%. Most forums are now accessed through a search engine while looking for a way to fix a problem, with some forums that have been around for a decade or more, there's a good chance their searches will be successful (thus no need to join or contribute.) I used to be very active on about a dozen forums including honda305, but with a few rare exceptions have left the scene, although not my passion for vintage bikes. I no longer had the desire to post solutions or other informative input (rarely would I ever ask a question as I'm capable in most cases to figure it out on my own) just to have it end the thread with no feedback as to whether it helped the OP or not. I know there will be a lot of scoffing, but I've moved all my activity to closed groups, specific to models on facebook. Yes there's even a Honda 250 - 305 group as well as 450's. It does have some formatting drawbacks for certain types of posts, such as build threads and ongoing problems, but the backfeed is almost instant. As with any forum you still have to separate the BS from fact. Now when posting on facebook you can get a hundred responses in a day and need to stay on top of it, while on a forum you can put up a post and check back in a week to see if anyone even saw it.
I was wondering what happened to you.......

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I got a 67 CL77, from Weymouth MA. Mine needs what I believe to be a new valve guide on one cylinder.
Perhaps you should start your own thread so others will be more likely to see what you need and offer help, since this thread is about a different forum and not a repair

·
Registered
28 Posts
Okay Seadog, I'm here now. I only found this thread by using the search feature. I'd love to see the 305 forum get straightened out because it's the best one for the 305s. This is a great forum that I've been using for a few years but mainly for CL350 and CB200T help. There is just too much valuable info on the 305 forum for it to go away. It seems like something could be worked out with Stoic since someone has already made contact with him. What's the latest?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all that have replied since my last post.

Rizingson, I agree that forums, in general, are losing their luster and that many members only lurk. Still, I have a great deal of time invested in the Honda305 forum and I hate seeing all of my posts disappear, as they surely will. Most importantly, however, there's a wealth of knowledge stored on that site that I would like to see preserved, not only for me, but for those coming up. I do follow groups on Facebook that focus on Honda 305s and other classics - 8 of them - and have seen and "liked" your posts on some. You do great work and have an impressive collection. Still, the Facebook groups are much like the forums in that they have many lurkers and only the occasional post of substance. People react quicker with "likes" and small comments. Many times the comments are snarky or are just of the "me too, look at my bike, it's just like yours" variety.

ahenthus, there's really nothing to update on the 305 forum. One member found a way to contact the forum owner indirectly through another party. He was told that Mr. Stoic was aware of the site's problems, but nothing more has happened. I don't expect that it will.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
...the Facebook groups are much like the forums in that they have many lurkers and only the occasional post of substance. People react quicker with "likes" and small comments. Many times the comments are snarky or are just of the "me too, look at my bike, it's just like yours" variety.

one of the many reasons I left FB recently. people are incredibly rude while hiding behind a computer or phone these days and are losing the concept of sharing information and having a bit of camaraderie over shared interests, the very reason we do things like this

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thanks to all that have replied since my last post.

Rizingson, I agree that forums, in general, are losing their luster and that many members only lurk. Still, I have a great deal of time invested in the Honda305 forum and I hate seeing all of my posts disappear, as they surely will. Most importantly, however, there's a wealth of knowledge stored on that site that I would like to see preserved, not only for me, but for those coming up. I do follow groups on Facebook that focus on Honda 305s and other classics - 8 of them - and have seen and "liked" your posts on some. You do great work and have an impressive collection. Still, the Facebook groups are much like the forums in that they have many lurkers and only the occasional post of substance. People react quicker with "likes" and small comments. Many times the comments are snarky or are just of the "me too, look at my bike, it's just like yours" variety.
Seadog, I would agree with all you said, it's a real shame to lose all the useful information that has been posted. I lost a couple thousand posts on the now gone VJMOG forum that I wish I could recover. You're absolutely right about face book being more of a "show and tell" format. I'm not saying it is superior to forums either, but just that it does have new activity everyday, although some of it is not informative or just flat out wrong or sarcastic. That's a real bummer for people who have legitimate questions that they need answers for. I guess overall it's just the degradation of social media at this time. I've found that the smaller "closed groups" have the most in common with forums though, and still provide some good info. By the way, I've also seen some outright rude commenting on forums as well, although I agree that they are better screened.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts