Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do

Despite having torn down my CL77 to it's frame and component parts over the last week or so, it's only just occurred to me that neither it, nor the CA77, have a front brake switch. I assume that the law changed sometime in the late 60's 'cos the SL350 K0 has a switch built into the front brake cable. But the CA and CL are the first bikes I've ever had that don't have any way of letting drivers behind me that I'm pulling on the front brake . . . can't see any problem with that with today's drivers(!?).

So I'm interested in knowing whether anyone has fitted a rear brake switch to either of these models (I assume the same goes for the CBs of the same era) and how it was done/how it turned out. To get the ball rolling, here's a couple of my ideas;

- the SL K0 has a switch built into the cable. It also has a twin cam front wheel, so the cable ends match those of the CL (the CA has a single cam, meaning the cable ends are different). The downside is that the CL has those cable adjusters built into the ends (and I've just spent a bundle on matching brake and clutch cables with those ends). And these cables are getting harder to find.

- the SL350 K2 has a different set up, where the switch is a separate cable that mounts into the lever perch. It works a bit like the rear brake switch on the CL77, where the switch pin is depressed until the brake is pulled, when the switch pin extends out and connects the circuit. Since the electrical cable isn't part of the original mechanical cable set up, it should mean that the original brake cable can be used. The perch doesn't look anything like the one on the CL, but it wouldn't look out of place on the CA. So I may do this to the CA - both the replacement perch and the cable are easy to find.

Either way, wiring in shouldn't be too hard - I'll just follow the schematics for the SLs.

Again, I'd be interested to hear other experiences before I decide which way to go - especially the sort of mods that essentially look stock (or very close).

Neil

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
I suggest the perch mounted switch as the parts are MUCH easier to obtain now, and will remain so longer.... Simply wire it in parallel with the rear brake switch.......

1 - 2 of 2 Posts