Honda Twins banner

Another Steering head bearing question

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  tbpmusic 
#1 ·
.I'm trying to find the answer without asking but-- cannot. I have the ALL BALLS set and things are going well.
My only problem is the top collar. Instructions say to modify the spanner nut to "specified dimensions" The illustration shows a before and after. It shows those little tangs on the inside of the nut being shortened to 1.7mm from 2.00mm. It shows the inner diameter of the "cup" part of the spanner nut to a diameter of 38.00mm from 37.00mm.
This is on my 1972 model CB450 with 35mm forks. Maybe this modification is only needed on earlier models with 33mm forks because-- my spanner nut is already at the "after" dimensions.
With no dust seal, the tangs go down inside the bearing and may touch the rollers. With the dust seal, (provided by ALLBALLS) the tangs press against the seal and cannot extend down into the bearing. I cannot see tightening the spanner nut down with the dust seal in place without deforming the seal. The tangs on the nut seem to be designed to locate (center) the bearing. What they did for the old ball bearing style escapes me!
Any help on this one?
I can scan and post the instructions if need be.

#2 ·
Bob.... First, ALL 450's have 35mm forks (stock)......Please post those instructions as the "tangs" that retain the stock "cup" should not interfere with the inner race or rollers at all.... Can't you just use the existing cup/nut assembly?...????? ...There is no other dust seal on top besides the cup in the stock assembly.....Sounds like you have an extra part........
Pics could be helpful.....

#3 ·
66Sprint said:
Bob.... First, ALL 450's have 35mm forks (stock)......Please post those instructions as the "tangs" that retain the stock "cup" should not interfere with the inner race or rollers at all.... Can't you just use the existing cup/nut assembly?...????? ...There is no other dust seal on top besides the cup in the stock assembly.....Sounds like you have an extra part........
Pics could be helpful.....
Steve, you saved my buttocks again-- thanks! Yes, the kit came with two dust seals. I thought-- I'll cheat and just don't use the top one. Thanks to you, my integrity is still intact (HA!!).
Come to think of it, there is was no seal when I took it all apart last spring!

And, how come I thought the older models had 33mm fork tubes? I rushed out to check, trusty $1.98 plastic calipers in hand only to realize both my older, drum brake models had the steel covers on em. I checked my factory manual and-- duh, you are right-- 35mm tubes.
I'll post the scanned instructions in a bit (and, maybe some pics).

#4 ·
WOZERD said:
Steve, you saved my buttocks again-- thanks! Yes, the kit came with two dust seals. I thought-- I'll cheat and just don't use the top one. Thanks to you, my integrity is still intact (HA!!).
Come to think of it, there is was no seal when I took it all apart last spring!

And, how come I thought the older models had 33mm fork tubes? I rushed out to check, trusty $1.98 plastic calipers in hand only to realize both my older, drum brake models had the steel covers on em. I checked my factory manual and-- duh, you are right-- 35mm tubes.
I'll post the scanned instructions in a bit (and, maybe some pics).
Are you planning on using the stock headlight mounting ears?

#5 ·
MNellis said:
Hey Mike -

If you need fork ears, I have some of the K3/K4 painted (not chrome) type.
I do have a pair of chrome ones, but the tips were bent when I got them.
The painted type cannot accommodate the larger 7" headlights of the later models, and vice-versa.

#6 ·
I tried scanning the instructions but they are so small (printed on a 2"X3" piece of paper) that I couldn't get them clearly. I tried taking a picture -- Nothing went right I gave up last night, will try today.
The confusion for me was the second dust seal and the instructions to modify the spanner nut when no modification was needed.
I will not be using the chrome fork ears because it's for the racer. I am considering putting them on the street bike. I want to go "cafe" on the street bike too so, I might have a black set and a chrome set.
I'm such a pack rat though. :roll:

#7 ·
tbpmusic said:
MNellis said:
Hey Mike -

If you need fork ears, I have some of the K3/K4 painted (not chrome) type.
I do have a pair of chrome ones, but the tips were bent when I got them.
The painted type cannot accommodate the larger 7" headlights of the later models, and vice-versa.
Thanks Bill, but I'm all set on fork ears myself. If WOZARD was going to use his fork ears I just wanted to warn him about using the supplied spacer and dust seal under the bottom bearing on the stem.

Since he's not using the ears, I would recommend he install the bottom spacer so he can get the necessary clearance when rotating the stem back and forth without grinding the lower head stock of the frame.

#8 ·
Kinda late but I finally gave up scanning the ALLBALLS instructions and took a picture. If nothing else, others can see/learn before ordering them. My K5 needed no mods to the top bearing nut. The "after" dimensions were the same as what the spanner nut already had. I did nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.