Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1971 cb350 recently. The previous owner put a CL350 exhaust on it and from what I understand everything between a CB/CL350 is pretty much the same regarding an exhaust swap.

Is this air box nut too close to the exhaust to put a side cover on it? it's about 2mm away.

bFeDA7l.jpg

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Are you sure you have the outlet on the back of the air cleaner seated in the crossover tube? The chrome button on the plastic air cleaner cover clears my pipe by about 1/4". Close, but not touching...I'd guess yours is too close to put the cover on. Looks like you're missing the big mid-pipe support for the exhaust, too, so maybe the exhaust isn't mounted exactly right.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. the air box looks like it's seated correctly. I'm not 100% sure however without taking the exhaust off.

Yes the middle bracket is missing. Does that middle bracket maybe provide some outward tension to keep the exhaust away from the bike? Or maybe the bracket near the tail is bringing it too close to the bike?

NcjmWzG.jpg
cvL2Qey.jpg
1yrtCJI.jpg

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have the similar setup, but the fastener for the cover does sit inside the exhaust by about an inch or so. Not enough to put the side cover on, without removing the exhaust.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i guess i'll remove the exhaust eventually and see if the air box is seated correctly.

·
Registered
401 Posts
i guess i'll remove the exhaust eventually and see if the air box is seated correctly.
third photo looks like the fastener actually sticks out above and past the exhaust. I have not assembled mine since I received something akin to the proper exhaust and new brackets, but when I was mocking it up, it still seemed pretty tight. Figured I might end up just using my air filter cover on that side. Briefly considered going to CB-style exhaust.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
...Yes the middle bracket is missing. Does that middle bracket maybe provide some outward tension to keep the exhaust away from the bike? Or maybe the bracket near the tail is bringing it too close to the bike?
My experience with the CL exhaust is they will fit a number of slightly different ways depending on how all the brackets are positioned when it's all tightened up. Mine (a '69) has 3 brackets - the big middle bracket that clamps to both pipes and attaches to the swingarm bolt, the rear hanger from the top of the muffler to the top shock absorber mount, and a flat bracket that bolts to the inboard side of the muffler and attaches to a split clamp on the angled frame rail right behind the air cleaner.

In my opinion, it's a big, restrictive, heavy mess that blocks air cleaner and carb access, and I finally tired of it and bought all the pieces to convert mine to CB pipes. I'm happier with it that way, even though it lacks the "coolness" of the high pipe.

4-26-19b.jpg

·
Registered
401 Posts
My experience with the CL exhaust is they will fit a number of slightly different ways depending on how all the brackets are positioned when it's all tightened up. Mine (a '69) has 3 brackets - the big middle bracket that clamps to both pipes and attaches to the swingarm bolt, the rear hanger from the top of the muffler to the top shock absorber mount, and a flat bracket that bolts to the inboard side of the muffler and attaches to a split clamp on the angled frame rail right behind the air cleaner.

In my opinion, it's a big, restrictive, heavy mess that blocks air cleaner and carb access, and I finally tired of it and bought all the pieces to convert mine to CB pipes. I'm happier with it that way, even though it lacks the "coolness" of the high pipe.

View attachment 283282
I am beginning to agree with you. Kind of wished I had not spent the money on my CL exhaust and had gone with getting the stuff for the CB exhaust. Mine is not a restore.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I am beginning to agree with you. Kind of wished I had not spent the money on my CL exhaust and had gone with getting the stuff for the CB exhaust. Mine is not a restore.
Yeah, mine is basically a partial restoration using used parts, but it would take new wheels (and some other parts), paint, rewiring, etc. to do it right. I drilled cooling holes in the brake drums and some other parts back in the late 70s when I made a cafe racer out of it, so that's expensive to make stock. Since there were other things "wrong" with it, I put the CB exhaust system on and changed out all the other parts I needed to make it fit. While I was at it, I switched the scrambler bars for superbike bars. Just because it was a cool bike, I'll post this pic of it when it was the vintage '70s cafe racer...:grin:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
update:
the brackets near the rear were installed wrong. i put #9 outward so it gave the muffler a little more clearance.
3md2mlG.png

i loosened up the muffler and i wedged the side covers in. the exhaust does touch the chrome 'button' of the side cover, but it doesn't touch the actual plastic.

cNHmzif.jpg

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
That's still too close and the heat will probably damage the side cover. The chrome button cannot touch the pipe.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's still too close and the heat will probably damage the side cover. The chrome button cannot touch the pipe.

any suggestions? can the muffler be 'bent' away from the side cover gently? it would only need to be about 1cm or room i would think.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you loosen all the brackets up and see how much you can move it out?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
i'm missing the middle bracket #13/14. when i loosened up the rear bracket there was a little wiggle room. maybe i can bend the rear brackets out a smidge and see if that affects the clearance.

67JXwc9.jpg

·
Registered
641 Posts
Or shim the other bracket out with washers, like the one you moved. I looked on ebay hi and lo, could not find that middle bracket. Ill keep an eye out for one for you, good luck.
You want at least a 1/4" clearance between the pipe and that chrome button.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Or shim the other bracket out with washers, like the one you moved. I looked on ebay hi and lo, could not find that middle bracket. Ill keep an eye out for one for you, good luck.
You want at least a 1/4" clearance between the pipe and that chrome button.
same. i looked up every keyword combination and synonyms. there was only one sold recently it looks like a month ago. i'll try some shims and maybe see how much give the middle section has.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Maybe you could get heavy plumbers strap at local hardware store. And make your own temporary bracket up for the middle for now.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
That middle bracket is pretty substantial, and will probably hold the pipes away from the side cover when you find one. If it doesn't, the bracket can be tweaked slightly to provide more clearance. If you can be patient, one will probably turn up. I'd start a separate thread here saying you're looking for one...you never know if someone on this forum has one they will part with.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That middle bracket is pretty substantial, and will probably hold the pipes away from the side cover when you find one. If it doesn't, the bracket can be tweaked slightly to provide more clearance. If you can be patient, one will probably turn up. I'd start a separate thread here saying you're looking for one...you never know if someone on this forum has one they will part with.
yup thanks. i have it listed in the WTB section.

·
Registered
641 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts