Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to replace the front and rear sprocket plus chain and tires on the 450. I looked at old bike barn and they list a bunch but the pix they have don't match up the bolt pattern. Should I just ignore the pix and order it? Or... a better suggestion for chain, sprockets and tires I have a 15 tooth in front and a 35 tooth in the rear. Also a recommendation on a reasonable chain for the project. On tires, any ideas for a good choice for a 100 90 19 front 110 90 18 rear? Don't want to spend huge bucks for them either as this will be a bike for sale project.
Thanks,
Terry

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Opposite of progress in ingrate! :eek:
Thanks for the advice. looked on eBay and no luck on a sprocket set yet. Just got the sprocket bolts from Clark at Southside Honda in Louisana. He has a bunch of New old stock so check out his eBay store. Fair prices too

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
What exactly do you mean by that first sentence??? Hmmm?

I've seen both front and rear sprockets on Ebay lately. Seperately but on there none the less. The same goes for tires. Good deals to be had on Ebay.. You have to search creatively. That's all I'll say..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry. I was commentating on Paul Harvey's quote. Must have been the wine, I meant to say" regress" Don't know how ingrate came up. I clicked on the wrong thing. :oops: That's means ungrateful.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just curious. Any other combinations of sprockets ( number of teeth) that work well?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry, no advice on the sprockets, but if you're looking for a cheap set of tires and don't need a vintage styled tread, I recently picked up a set of Kenda K657 Challenger tires. They were the absolute cheapest tire around that I could find in Ontario. I've only had them on the bike for about 400 miles now, but I have no complaints with them at all. For the front tire I went with a 100/90-19 and put a 120/90-18 on the rear. I wanted to get a 110/90-18 for the rear but it has been put on back-order indefinitely in Ontario. Based on the Kenda website, the 120 series is 0.3 inches wider than the 110 series, but surprisingly over 2 lbs heavier the than 110. I wasn't too fond of going with the 120 at first, but I don't have any complaints with it. They're a lot better than the original rubber that it replaced.

www.
kendatiresusa.com/motorcycle/street.html

Sorry can't upload a picture of my bike with the tires... I'm too new :roll:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ended up getting some Shinko 712 tires. Got them from Motorcycle superstore as they had free shipping. About a buck 20 with new heavy duty tubes and rim strips. The tech I talked to said they have had great results with them as they also build race tires (slicks) and the next improvement over these would cost at least double. No matter what, they have to be better than the original rubber!

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Do a Google on "old bike barn" they have interesting feedback from some quarters, enough that i won't go near them. shame, shame, shame :evil:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, that's my personal experience. I bought an Athena gasket set from them and one of the cam bearing gaskets was wrong. I emailed the customer service about it and never got a response so I made my own. Wasn't worth a phone call to deal with it. They have some good deals but I don't like searc hing their website. Takes too long as you have to keep re inputting the info every time you want to look for something else for your model bike.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts