Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, sorry for the rampant posts lately. I keep coming across questions that I cannot find the answer to online or in the manual. 72 CB350, I went to adjust the cam chain tensioner today and when I tried to turn the bolt on the generator to adjust to 90° past ATDC, the bolt simply broke free. I remember torquing the bolt and I had a mechanic mark TDC for me, he never mentioned that the bolt was free. Shouldn’t the generatoe be able to turn counter clockwise by using a 14mm wrench on the bolt? It also looks like there is a woodruff key slot but I don’t seem to have one on the bolt. Is there a way to re-torque the bolt? Is there another way to turn the generator? Thanks in advance and again, sorry for slam posting, this week has been frustrating on the bike.

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Woodruff key is in crankshaft..... Yes, you SHOULD be able to go CCW with a 14mm wrench, but it helps to be in neutral and remove sparkplugs....Bad enough fighting the valve springs, etc....

To re-torque, put in gear and stand on the brake........

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Woodruff key is in crankshaft..... Yes, you SHOULD be able to go CCW with a 14mm wrench, but it helps to be in neutral and remove sparkplugs....Bad enough fighting the valve springs, etc....

To re-torque, put in gear and stand on the brake........

So once I re-torque, the bolt shouldn’t just break free when I go CC? I also figured out the wiring harness and I appreciate your help. The wires were in properly but a wire slipped out of the ignition switch. Once I took care of that it fired up. Still haven’t tried the starter button. I’d like to get it tuned before giving that a try.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Once torqued you shouldn't have issues turning unless something is binding.
I had a spare wide and long piece of aluminum that I poked holes in and inserted bolts to fit the holes in the generator, to hold it in place while tightening(or removing)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Once torqued you shouldn't have issues turning unless something is binding.
I had a spare wide and long piece of aluminum that I poked holes in and inserted bolts to fit the holes in the generator, to hold it in place while tightening(or removing)
I may have to do something like that. The engine ran fine “ish” so I know it’s not bound. I just need to tighten that bolt to open/close the valves so I can set the cam. What’s the torque spec on that bolt (if you recall). I’m going to step on the brake and put it in gear as Sprint66 recommended. If that doesn’t work I’ll have to get creative

1 - 5 of 5 Posts