Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I posted a problem with the clutch, on my SL350K2, a few days back & I am not even sure what I was thinking, when I did that. So, I want to clear the slate, so to speak & start all over again.

My problem is, the clutch is stuck & I can't get it to work. I have tried doing a full adjuastment. After I did that, I started the motor, pulled the clutch lever & it felt good, but then I heard a pop sound and then had some slack in the cable (not much). I pulled the cover & I have seen the "Ball Bearing" mentioned. Now, the only ball bearing I see in mine, the the washer like piece, that has 3 small ball bearings in it. So, at this point I am not totally clear on this. Is there a ball bearing missing, from mine? and exactly where does it go? I could stand some photos & clerification, please. Any assist, would be much appreciated. ;)

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
It pops because you have adjusted the cable too tight, slack off the cable and adjust it again. The ball bearing everyone talks about is in the center of the mechanism, it bears against the end of the clutch pushrod in front of the front sprocket. Look in the hole in the center,it will have grease holding it in there, poke around there a bit to see if it's hidden in the grease. The clutch plates are likely stuck together, you can take the clutch apart to free them or you zip tie the lever to the handlebar and ride around the neighborhood until it gets free on its own.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It pops because you have adjusted the cable too tight, slack off the cable and adjust it again. The ball bearing everyone talks about is in the center of the mechanism, it bears against the end of the clutch pushrod in front of the front sprocket. Look in the hole in the center,it will have grease holding it in there, poke around there a bit to see if it's hidden in the grease. The clutch plates are likely stuck together, you can take the clutch apart to free them or you zip tie the lever to the handlebar and ride around the neighborhood until it gets free on its own.
Thank you, Mike, for your response. Okay, I am better understanding this. The bearing goes in the side, with the hole that is about 3/4" wide & also has 3 indentions, for the 3 bearings of the small bearing assy, right? There IS grease in there, but apparently the bearing was left out. it's not there. I can appreciate that there are some who don't know about properly adjusting the cable, but I do know that. If I remember right, about what I read, that bearing is about 1/8" diameter? I AM going to double check, to make sure it was in there & could have fallen out, when I took the side cover off though, even though it was doing the same thing, before I adjusted it. I was taught to never leave something to chance, if at all possible.

Now, after I either find the bearing or manage to get another, the size I need & get thing back together. I am not sure at this point, BUT, IF the previous owner put this together, without that bearing, he just might have given me an unwanted surprise, on the right side of the motor as well. So, I am thinking that I just might ought to go ahead & get into the clutch itself. Leave nothing to doubt. And again, I appreciate the input and you have a good day. ;)

Well now, I just saw a breakdown, elsewhere, on here & I understand better, where that bearing goes AND I have also checked & that ball bearing is no where in sight. Might be just why I bought this, for a fair price, because he either caused or inherited the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Hi Bill, very common complaint. You have to adjust clutch at cover screw first so the operating arm is all the way down. You didn't fit an aftermarket (EMGO) cable? I've always found them short on the inner wire making adjustment very difficult

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Bill, very common complaint. You have to adjust clutch at cover screw first so the operating arm is all the way down. You didn't fit an aftermarket (EMGO) cable? I've always found them short on the inner wire making adjustment very difficult
Hey PJ, been a long time, my Friend. I haven't changed much at all, since I got this one. I'll sure give it a shot. Sure beats what I was trying to prepare myself to do (which was to go into the clutch, cause I thought I was going to have to separate the discs by hand.) I do appreciate the input & have a good day. ;)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice to hear from you Bill.
Hello there J-T, Thank you, Though I am not on here very often, I try to, at least, touch base now and then. Sometimes though, been kinda loaded up with all sorts of things. Really glad that I have been connected with "The Twins" for a long time & that You Folks & the Forum is still here & the evolvement that was accomplished, in NICE!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts