Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Im clearly new here, also new to motorcycles. I do have some mechanical inclination, and Im not afraid to get my hands dirty. I have a 1975 CL360 that I have been working on for a few months. I had it running and strong, was working on syncing the carbs and dropping the idle (not in that order) yesterday... I went to kick the bike over, and the kickstart lever dropped all the way and I had to return it by hand. After searching the forums, I removed the clutch side cover, and found that the stop that is part of the casting on the kickstarter spindle/shaft sheared itself off... I was wondering what anyone thinks of the idea of just having a TIG welder build up a weld there, or if I am as I suspect, going to have to split the case to put a new shaft in. Thanks in advance, the reading I've done here already has been invaluable.

IMAG0029.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
image.jpg So I have been looking at the fiche diagram of the kick start assembly. The part identified with the number 20 is the broken piece on my bike. In the diagram it appears to slide onto the shaft, but on my bike in the photo I attached it looks to be a part of it. Am I missing something? Attached is the fiche

·
Sensei
27,168 Posts
From your picture, the broken part is #22.......You would NOT be able to see a break in part #20 until you split the cases....
It's inside the main cases, not just inside the right side outer cover.....

Since the broken part is not only the "stop", but an attachment point for the return spring, you would likely have to split the cases, get it out to weld it and re-contour it to the correct shape anyway....
At that point, replacement is easier........

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From your picture, the broken part is #22.......You would NOT be able to see a break in part #20 until you split the cases....
It's inside the main cases, not just inside the right side outer cover.....

Since the broken part is not only the "stop", but an attachment point for the return spring, you would likely have to split the cases, get it out to weld it and re-contour it to the correct shape anyway....
At that point, replacement is easier........
Yep, you're 100% correct--I think wishful thinking was causing me to read that schematic backwards... Thanks for the reply--time to bone up on what its going to take to split that case. As long as I have the bottom end open, what else should I potentially be on the lookout for?

thanks

michael

1 - 4 of 4 Posts