Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Funny that he posted that Black Mamba find this morning. Knowing that 12ozPBR is always looking for a 450 deal, and another Bomber in his garage would be great for him (then again, wouldn't it be for most of us??), I occasionally stumble around on eBay looking for 450s in his general area. Check this one out... let me know what you think. :D

https://www.ebay.com/itm/153287754017?ul_noapp=true

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, c'mon guys - I know this looks like any other CL or eBay ad for a bike, but it's a bit different... counting on all of you to give it another look (hence the "or is it?" in the subject line). Think of it as a brain teaser... I know many of you would be all over it in another scenario :confused:

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
you'd have to know the engine number - all 5-speeds look the same. Well, they are the same actually........
I posted the same time you did, wasn't commenting on your post. I meant later as not a 4-speed.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Otherwise it looks to be a fairly complete K0.
Frame looks right, all else looks right.
The top clamp will be tough to replace..

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
The 5 speed motor would be an upgrade IMO. I'm not THAT much of a purist to split hairs over the motor.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Messaged the seller earlier and inquired about frame and engine number. Definitely a Bomber frame with clean parts and a nice straight exhaust. The engine number I was told is CB450E-40055. This makes it a 1970 I believe even though there are 2 digits missing. Later engine makes a difference but it’s still a really nice looking bike. Not one for the purists though. Does anyone know for certain the subtleties of mounting earlier exhaust on later heads and vice versa? I’ve heard there are differences but I’m not certain what they are.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Right all of you are, obviously... I just kinda expected many would have noticed the first time through. Yeah, it is splitting hairs a bit but if you're going to buy a Bomber it should really be a Bomber... right? Hey, a 4 speed is kinda cool in these times of so many 6 speeds

·
Banned
854 Posts
Right all of you are, obviously... I just kinda expected many would have noticed the first time through. Yeah, it is splitting hairs a bit but if you're going to buy a Bomber it should really be a Bomber... right? Hey, a 4 speed is kinda cool in these times of so many 6 speeds
My 75' XR75 I had as a kid was a 4 speed.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Hey Tom, in addition to my 5-speed Honda 350, I have a 4-speed bike too...lol

E7710AA6-CC3A-45FF-8F07-0B483BAE962B.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 75' XR75 I had as a kid was a 4 speed.
it's funny, I remembered that the SL70 was a 4 speed but had to look to be sure the XR75 was as well, but you are right. Odd that the SL100 and 125 of the day were 5 speeds and the XR75, with the more modern upright engine compared to the SL70, remained a 4 speed

·
Banned
854 Posts
I recall wishing I had another gear but in hindsight I didn't need it. I wish I still had it.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I recall wishing I had another gear but in hindsight I didn't need it. I wish I still had it.
I know that feeling well... there are many I'd like to have back again. For me, I was young and moving from one to another in my learning years of riding and wrenching, going from smaller to larger bikes along the way. I'd love to have one each of probably half of the 34 I've owned over the years, but I wouldn't have the room for them and damn sure don't have the money!

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Auction ended. $3855.55
And NO, I did not bid on this one!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts