Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Instead of buying a huge motorcycle battery. I am considering using 18650's or A123's to power my bike.
anyone have any input on this before I do it :)

my other idea is to use some supercapacitors.

and I am aware I will need a lower max voltage regulator if i go LI because mine goes to 15volts. max.
suggestions on brand to buy ?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Not a stupid idea, but I must ask why? I would go the A123 direction and use a 2S3P pack, only because the A123 cell has a hard casing. 18650 have a poly case. The other thing to consider is the alternator and one of the SOHC guys will need to help. To work correctly, the alternator must be a field effect type where output can be controlled down to near zero amps. Otherwise the battery will overcharge and shorten the life. One of the issues with charging Li po is the charge rate. Out put to the battery is critical. The easy way would be to rig some kind od a charger into the bike. Have a look at some of the articles on this site. You may want to junk the idea and go for an AGM or gel cell. Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries ? Battery University

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a stupid idea, but I must ask why? I would go the A123 direction and use a 2S3P pack, only because the A123 cell has a hard casing. 18650 have a poly case. The other thing to consider is the alternator and one of the SOHC guys will need to help. To work correctly, the alternator must be a field effect type where output can be controlled down to near zero amps. Otherwise the battery will overcharge and shorten the life. One of the issues with charging Li po is the charge rate. Out put to the battery is critical. The easy way would be to rig some kind od a charger into the bike. Have a look at some of the articles on this site. You may want to junk the idea and go for an AGM or gel cell. Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries ? Battery University
as for the why.
I built another battery/electrical box.
and to fit all the components it is too large to be visually nice for where I wanted it to go. and the shape.
Cutting the battery size in half is the only option if I want to create something cool looking.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
James are you aware if I would need a regulation system if i go for 500f 2.7 volt caps ?
I am aware going this route I only get one chance at start.
But I live in az. weather is never cold here. and I have bump started the bike so I know its not hard to do.
For the cost. Its a lot cheaper than the other options..

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
The sixties era britt bikes use a capacitor (in addition to the battery) along with a zener diode to regulate the voltage. They would run just fine with the battery removed.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Keep us posted on what you decide to do. Here is a short article on Li-ion. If you go for it, it may be worth it to get a purpose designed battery instead of playing around with hobby stuff. https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/lowdown-on-lithium-ion-motorcycle-batteries-mc-garage-video

Here is a good article comparing different li-ion batteries. https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/news/lighten-lithium-ion-battery-gear

If you got one of these, you could keep the starter. Being able to restart your bike after it stalls at a stop light is important. One last thing, Li-ion batteries are very sensitive to voltages. They will burst into flames if they are incorrectly treated, think 787. I work for Boeing and I was part of the laboratory investigation of the 787 in-flight fires. I am active in flying electric radio control aircraft including FPV quads. I use a lot of these battery technology. I don't think motorcycles are a good application for these. It will be expensive to set up, will not last long and they are dangerous. Keep us posted with your experiace. THX

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep us posted on what you decide to do. Here is a short article on Li-ion. If you go for it, it may be worth it to get a purpose designed battery instead of playing around with hobby stuff. https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/lowdown-on-lithium-ion-motorcycle-batteries-mc-garage-video

Here is a good article comparing different li-ion batteries. https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/news/lighten-lithium-ion-battery-gear

If you got one of these, you could keep the starter. Being able to restart your bike after it stalls at a stop light is important. One last thing, Li-ion batteries are very sensitive to voltages. They will burst into flames if they are incorrectly treated, think 787. I work for Boeing and I was part of the laboratory investigation of the 787 in-flight fires. I am active in flying electric radio control aircraft including FPV quads. I use a lot of these battery technology. I don't think motorcycles are a good application for these. It will be expensive to set up, will not last long and they are dangerous. Keep us posted with your experiace. THX

my first Lithium from wps... it caught fire...

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the price I will say that this is a cheap, probably Chinese, knock off. I wouldn't waste my money on it.

I found three different companies listing the same unit as U.S. made. but when you read the fine print it says made and produced in china...
LDR is there a U.S. company that actually makes them ?
otherwise I believe they are the same unit.. I might contact the seller to find out voltage output from it.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
At this point My main idea is to get 6 2.7v 500f super capacitors and see how that runs.
When I had her running. she always fired First time. so not worried about that. maybe buy one of those small jump packs from harbor freight to keep with me.
At about $10 for all of them. then a little more for connections. its a steal

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I found three different companies listing the same unit as U.S. made. but when you read the fine print it says made and produced in china...
LDR is there a U.S. company that actually makes them ?
otherwise I believe they are the same unit.. I might contact the seller to find out voltage output from it.
Shindengen is the only manufacturer I know of. This guy knows his stuff and is selling the kit needed at the lowest price I see Home

1 - 13 of 13 Posts