Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone, I am new to the group. I love to restore things and bring them back to life. I have done several Mopars, CT70's, CL70's, a QA50 and old Evinrude Outboards. I have never had a road bike before, so I decided to get my motorcycle permit and start looking for one. I found this 1980 CM400T a month ago that had been parked for 10 years. It was in pretty nice shape and turned over freely with 9000K on it and a clean title, so I bought it for $400. Since then I completely went through the bike and made it road worthy again. Things I did.

1. New head light and fork ears
2. general tune up with new oil seals
3. completely rebuilt the carbs, still need to sync them
4. Had to chase down some electrical gremlins, that turned out to be mice. (we all love those little guys!)
5. Adjusted valve lash, balance and cam chains.
6. Rebuilt caliper, new front and rear brakes. New master cylinder ordered.
7. Complete cleaning and polishing what I could.
8, Want to get the dents out of the tank or at least try.

It purrs like a kitten and drives great. I can't wait to some miles on it. The first pick is when I picked it up from the guys house. The last 3 are of it done. Thanks Scott.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Nice looking bike, a survivor in original condition for a good price as well. There are many here with that series of Honda and lots of knowledge to help you when you need it. Someone here will come along with a factory service manual (FSM) for you, which is the best thing to work with (as opposed to the many aftermarket manuals that can be quite erroneous). Looks much better without the rack and sissy bar too

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tom, Yeah the rack and sissy bar were the first things to go. It is a fun little bike to ride. I seen the thread on your bike. WOW, awesome job it looks great!

Scott

·
Registered
399 Posts
Nice find. Glad you kept it stock. Yuo'll need a proper FSM. PM sent.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Gorgeous example of the CM400T. Enjoy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I just wish it didn't have the dents in the tank. The paint and decals are in excellent shape, so I am going to try to get them out the best I can.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Perhaps a "paintless dent repair" shop. I don't know if there are any near you, but worth looking into, IMHO.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Welcome nice bike

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Looks good, color is Candy Presto Red
You might consider replacing the front brake hose with a SS braided version, helps alot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Jim, next thing I need to do is play with the jetting. It has just a little bit of a stumble at low mid range.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a little update. I upsized the main jets a couple of mm's and now it runs amazing. It pulls hard from idle all the way to 8K. I put about 60 miles on it this week and it was a joy to ride. Can't wait to put many more on. Thanks to everyone on this site that takes there time to help. Scott.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Clearly Tom will ridicule me over this, but I might be interested in your luggage rack for my 81, PM me some pics?

To each their own, amirite?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts