Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the hole in the top of the engine case on the alternetor side near the stud be enlarged to provide more oil flow to the left side head cover without doing harm to the crank bearing on that side.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
According to my oiling diagram, reducing the pressure/increasing flow to the left side would reduce flow to BOTH sides of the crankshaft and possibly the right side of the camshaft (flow diverges back at the right side "pocket' in the main cases) I can e-mail you a diagram if you send a response to [email protected] direct..... Not sure I can forward the drawing through the group e-mails.....However, the drawing I have is for the "sloper" 160/175's so may be inaccurate for a "vert"..... Steve

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
66Sprint said:
According to my oiling diagram, reducing the pressure/increasing flow to the left side would reduce flow to BOTH sides of the crankshaft and possibly the right side of the camshaft (flow diverges back at the right side "pocket' in the main cases) I can e-mail you a diagram if you send a response to [email protected] direct..... Not sure I can forward the drawing through the group e-mails.....However, the drawing I have is for the "sloper" 160/175's so may be inaccurate for a "vert"..... Steve
Steve,Thank You,
For the quick response.
You've answered my question.
I guess my best bet is to open it up just slightly in the head cover.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
I intend to redirect the oiling through an oil cooler and to both journals directly exterior to the engine (like the 450 racers previously/recently discussed here)and of course back to the "pocket" to oil everything else.... I will be adding some type of control orifices to attempt to reproduce the originlly intended "splits" of the flow.... Although they will all be (proportionally) larger than the originals...I'll post pics and results when it occurs......Meanwhile, larger hole and deeper spirals in the journals can't hurt....

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
66Sprint said:
I intend to redirect the oiling through an oil cooler and to both journals directly exterior to the engine (like the 450 racers previously/recently discussed here)and of course back to the "pocket" to oil everything else.... I will be adding some type of control orifices to attempt to reproduce the originlly intended "splits" of the flow.... Although they will all be (proportionally) larger than the originals...I'll post pics and results when it occurs......Meanwhile, larger hole and deeper spirals in the journals can't hurt....
Yes, I'll be interested to see how that works for you.
By the way, I'm sure that you have heard "Bateman Race Engineering", I was just wondering what thought of their products.
Also going over at Powroll I see they have a 190cc piston kit for the 160's. I was hoping that it could go in my 175, that could help out the HP a little :) .

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Michael (Bateman) has my vote of confidence, but Sloper 160/175 pistons are different from vertical pistons due to head/chamber differences......If he says they'll work... go with it.... A 175 vert with 22mm CL carbs already has more HP than a CB 200,(18mm carbs) but a displacement bump can't hurt......
I'm working on a sloper bottom/vert cyl and head combo engine, so my results may not apply.....You MAY want to check out this site as well.... http://www.jrbranson.com/HondaRacer/mainpage.htm

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
66Sprint said:
Michael (Bateman) has my vote of confidence, but Sloper 160/175 pistons are different from vertical pistons due to head/chamber differences......If he says they'll work... go with it.... A 175 vert with 22mm CL carbs already has more HP than a CB 200,(18mm carbs) but a displacement bump can't hurt......
I'm working on a sloper bottom/vert cyl and head combo engine, so my results may not apply.....You MAY want to check out this site as well.... http://www.jrbranson.com/HondaRacer/mainpage.htm
All great info !!!
Thank You :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts