Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out to the shed this am to the strong smell of fuel, I left the petcock "on" on the CB450! Nice big wet spot on the floor, hoping gas didn't get into the crankcase and contaminate the oil but I will check that later since gas smell was so strong I didn't think I would be able to tell if oil was contaminated. REMEMBER TO TURN OFF YOUR PETCOCKS EVERYBODY!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Thats bad but it happened to me at least twice over the last two years I think. I doesn’t help that I have different petcocks on my 450 and 500T.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Where did the leak occur? Did the carbs overflow? I left mine on a couple times in the few weeks I've had my 350 and gotten away clean with it so far :twisted: but I've had other gas disasters so touché.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gas leaked from the carb overflow and also filled the crankcase contaminating the oil. I'm in the process of draining and refilling with clean oil. I left the petcock on overnight, perhaps 14 hrs or so.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Man. Where did it get into the crank case?

I've been getting this inexplicable urge to get up at all hours and go check on mine. It's my first motorcycle so I'm nervous ha.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
The carbs on these old bikes have imperfect seals around the float valve needles. If the petcock is left on, then fuel can leak past the carbs into the cylinders and down to the crank case.
This is why you should ALWAYS shut off your petcock when the bike isn't running.

I've seen this happen on John Deere riding mowers and tractors as well as motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
I always turn off the fuel when not using my bike.

However, I had a senior moment yesterday, out on the CB175 ( which has its fuel tap on the opposite side to the CL175 ), needed to go to reserve position. Leant down whilst riding along, turned the tap to OFF rather than RES. When the bike died and rolled to a halt I had to dismount, get out my reading glasses to see the small symbols on the tap to confirm my mistake, got the bike restarted and continued to the petrol (gas ) station.

I've actually had to print out a photo of the fuel taps in their respective OFF positions, so that I can be certain that I've turned the lever to the correct setting.

And then OCD sets in, and I have to check the ignition switch several times, to ensure it is set to OFF rather than PARK. :sad:

·
Registered
641 Posts

However, I had a senior moment yesterday, out on the CB175 ( which has its fuel tap on the opposite side to the CL175 ), needed to go to reserve position. Leant down whilst riding along, turned the tap to OFF rather than RES. When the bike died and rolled to a halt I had to dismount, get out my reading glasses to see the small symbols on the tap to confirm my mistake, got the bike restarted and continued to the petrol (gas ) station.

I've actually had to print out a photo of the fuel taps in their respective OFF positions, so that I can be certain that I've turned the lever to the correct setting.

And then OCD sets in, and I have to check the ignition switch several times, to ensure it is set to OFF rather than PARK.
Been there and done that, still do it sometimes. But I spend more time telling my son's to do it now! Lol, gotta love it and pass it on, yeah!!

·
Registered
500 Posts
I just went to check mine. You are making us nervous!

My carbs overflowed because of unadjusted floats before i put it for storage last winter with fresh oil. I'll change the oil again just to make sure, but ran the bike twice for short rides already though. Oups!

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The older CB450 carbs are notorious for this but not sure if it is a problem for your bike. You will be able to smell the gas if it has contaminated your oil. After looking at the carb placement on my bike it is downhill from the carb to the cylinder head so it doesn't surprise me that this happens. On my CX it's much less downhill and the few times I forgot to turn off petcock on CX I never had fuel leak into the oil.

Reactions: Polish

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
HaHaHaHa!! You gave me a good laugh. This is so me. I have ADHD as well. Come spring when I get one of the bikes out,
I have no idea which direction any of the petcocks go, LOL

And then OCD sets in, and I have to check the ignition switch several times, to ensure it is set to OFF rather than PARK. :sad:

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
500 Posts
The older CB450 carbs are notorious for this but not sure if it is a problem for your bike. You will be able to smell the gas if it has contaminated your oil. After looking at the carb placement on my bike it is downhill from the carb to the cylinder head so it doesn't surprise me that this happens. On my CX it's much less downhill and the few times I forgot to turn off petcock on CX I never had fuel leak into the oil.
So, I should smell gas through the oil filler cap if there is any?

·
Banned
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, don't run it if you smell gas.

Reactions: Polish

·
Registered
641 Posts
[/QUOTE]So, I should smell gas through the oil filler cap if there is any?[/QUOTE]

Every time i check the oil in my bikes, and wipe the dipstick. I smell the oil on the rag for gas, my sons have picked up this habit too. Im to old to get down and stick my nose in the crankcase?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts