Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so...

My 76 cb360 is running well now. I am pretty happy with it, in terms of how it runs. But, I would like it to be cleaner, and look nicer. So, here is what I am thinking...

Winter is nearly upon me, and this is not only the time of year that I am not going to be riding, but also the time of year when I have free time to invest in the bike. So, the question is this:

Should I take this winter to strip the bike down, clean the engine and all mechanical parts, replace what needs replacing, do other relatively minor replacements (gaskets, chain, points, etc...), powder coat the frame, rechrome some stuff, clean up the mess that is the wiring, paint the tank, etc...??? :shock:

I would really like to do this project, but as a person with very minimal knowledge :( :oops: , I am not certain if getting into all of this is a great idea. Of course, I bought this bike because I love riding, and wanted to learn a bit about the mechanics of motorcycles, and everything about old Hondas is appealing and intriguing to me. So, with that in mind, it seems only logical that I go as far as possible with my learning experiment. But, like I said, my knowledge is practically nothing.

So, what is the opinion here? Keep in mind, I have around 4 months of winter, and in that four months I have around 4 or 5 consecutive weeks of totally free time (and, really, for the whole winter I have a LOT of free time).

Should I do this? What should I be certain to have on hand prior to getting started, if I do get started?

Oh yeah, one last thing... if I do this, keep in mind that I will without a doubt be around here asking obnoxiously stupid questions about nearly everything until I am told to shut up. So remember that before you tell me to go for it!! :D :D

·
Registered
703 Posts
You can ask me any questions because I have pretty much the same bike and i've had every nut and bolt out of it. Rebuilt the engine this summer. I will be stripping the frame down to powder coat as well.

If the engine runs well don't bother tearing it apart. Just take it out of the frame, set it aside, and polish what you need to polish.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
I'd say go for it. Before picking up my KZ two years ago, I was a complete noob. I cleaned and tuned that one up and learned as I went. I had so much fun working on that one, that as soon as I had it mostly straightened away, I started looking for another bike to work on (hence the 400T). I find it addicting. I'm by no means an expert, but with a manual, a good forum (like this one) and a little patience you can do it. If you run into any issues or have any questions, just ask here and someone will chime in with help.

I actually enjoy wrenching on them just as much, or more, than I do riding them. Nice to have two so you get the best of both worlds. :D

Also, there is a nice feeling knowing that you did all the work yourself. Great sense of accomplishment.

As for tools, I just started with the basics (screw drivers, wrenches, socket set) and just buy others as I need them.

Just be warned that after you have this one done, you'll be hunting for a new project. :D

·
Registered
703 Posts
HerrDeacon said:
I'd say go for it. Before picking up my KZ two years ago, I was a complete noob. I cleaned and tuned that one up and learned as I went. I had so much fun working on that one, that as soon as I had it mostly straightened away, I started looking for another bike to work on (hence the 400T). I find it addicting. I'm by no means an expert, but with a manual, a good forum (like this one) and a little patience you can do it. If you run into any issues or have any questions, just ask here and someone will chime in with help.

I actually enjoy wrenching on them just as much, or more, than I do riding them. Nice to have two so you get the best of both worlds. :D

Also, there is a nice feeling knowing that you did all the work yourself. Great sense of accomplishment.

As for tools, I just started with the basics (screw drivers, wrenches, socket set) and just buy others as I need them.

Just be warned that after you have this one done, you'll be hunting for a new project. :D

Funny because i'm lookin for a cb750 project. I have a 72 BSA which made me never want to buy a british bike again. I have my eyes out for hondas or suzukis only.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I say go for it. We're all here to ask questions from time to time and lend a hand where we can, so your questions are just part of being a member of the forum. No questions are stupid ones..

As for Dirtbag and his bike. It looks like someone tossed a bomb under that thing!! :shock: :lol:

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
I say go for it. We're all here to ask questions from time to time and lend a hand where we can, so your questions are just part of being a member of the forum. No questions are stupid ones..

As for Dirtbag and his bike. It looks like someone tossed a bomb under that thing!! :shock: :lol:

GB :mrgreen:

My wife didn't appreciate the garage in this shape. So I promised her when I fixed up the bike i'd regorganize.

So this is it after all was said and done. A new workbench, side shelf (which i'll do motorwork on), new bench grinder and vise. Most of the oil stains on the floor are from that bloody BSA. If you look to the right you'll see the corner of my beer fridge which is absolutely railed with canadian beer as a reward for my new clean garage. And yes all Canadian men play hockey.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, I'm sold...

So it begins! Tonight I am going to clean out and prepare the smaller room in my garage, since it will easier to keep warm and clean and still has plenty of room to work in.

Now, where should I start?? First priority for me is to get the engine out and set aside... what is a good starting point with that in mind? Of course, I'm going to drain the oil and remove the fuel tank first, so after that is done...?

Dirtbag: your bike is about where I want mine to end up, in terms of looks. I think part of this project is going to be cleaning up the wiring and relocating the battery, so expect some requests for assistance in that department!

Thanks for the shove in this direction, guys! I'm pretty excited to get to it!

·
Registered
703 Posts
I just posted a tip on how to do the seat in the tips n tricks section.

Take fuel tank off.
Take off chain
Headers off.
Top bracket off.
Starter motor wire off
bottom motor mounts out.
Pull the motor out the ride side.
Super easy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dirtbag said:
I just posted a tip on how to do the seat in the tips n tricks section.

Take fuel tank off.
Take off chain
Headers off.
Top bracket off.
Starter motor wire off
bottom motor mounts out.
Pull the motor out the ride side.
Super easy.

Awesome! Thanks DB... I got all of that. One question: is there any need to take off (or worry about) the shift pedal or anything else? Or is it really just a matter of freeing things up and pulling the whole thing at once?

And how much weight do I need to be ready for? How heavy is the motor in these things?

And I assume "ride side" means right side? :)

·
Registered
703 Posts
Right side looking forward. Yes take off the shifter for sure. You have to to get the sprocket cover off. You can just pull the sprocket off completely if you don't want to break the chain. And the Engine weight? Well it weighs a good amount but if you're not crippled you should be able to man handle it in there or out. Get a buddy is what i'd recommend.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ha! Didn't even register in my head that the shifter would already be off, along with the sprocket cover. Just had that off yesterday anyway while replacing the clutch cable.

And yeah, I have a buddy who owes me one and I intend to make him help with the lifting of the motor! Don't wanna throw my back out this early in the process!!

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Dennis Broadway said:
Okay, so...

Oh yeah, one last thing... if I do this, keep in mind that I will without a doubt be around here asking obnoxiously stupid questions about nearly everything until I am told to shut up. So remember that before you tell me to go for it!! :D :D
Goody i love silly questions, that way i can give silly answers :D :D

Just a thought before you get to carried away, I always fix everything before i strip a bike for a tart-up that way when it goes back together there is nothing to go wrong, if something does not work i have a base to start with. When repairing parts on a fresh frame, damage can be done to newly painted parts, frames ect. Fix your wiring before stripping as it works now and will be easy to repair.
Fix everything before stripping and source parts before dissembling anything, original Honda gaskets are the best and can be hard to find. Make a list of posable parts needed and post them on this list so we know what your looking for, we may have the bits needed or come across them in our travels. speaking of that - what do you do if you come across a elephant in the jungle?.......wipe it off and say sorry :oops:

Rod from OZ :cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
otr002 said:
Dennis Broadway said:
Okay, so...

Goody i love silly questions, that way i can give silly answers :D :D

Just a thought before you get to carried away, I always fix everything before i strip a bike for a tart-up that way when it goes back together there is nothing to go wrong, if something does not work i have a base to start with. When repairing parts on a fresh frame, damage can be done to newly painted parts, frames ect. Fix your wiring before stripping as it works now and will be easy to repair.
Fix everything before stripping and source parts before dissembling anything, original Honda gaskets are the best and can be hard to find. Make a list of posable parts needed and post them on this list so we know what your looking for, we may have the bits needed or come across them in our travels. speaking of that - what do you do if you come across a elephant in the jungle?.......wipe it off and say sorry :oops:

Rod from OZ :cool:

Rod,

All of that seems like very sound advice! Thankfully, everything is working quite nicely right now, so this is probably a pretty good time to start! as for the electrical stuff, it is all in good working order, just needs to be cleaned up. I think I'll wait until the frame is cleaned and fresh, and then handle the wiring thing. I've also got a local source for lots of stuff like gaskets, so most of that stuff is no worry. I'll definitely keep all of this in mind, though, since I want things to be simple and painless!!

Am I nuts for thinking that doing some other stuff while I'm at it makes sense? Stuff like gaskets, points, etc.?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Don't mean to butt in, but.......

You'll find that most Honda twin engines come out from the rider's left side more easily.
That way you don't have to deal with the brake pedal, which will certainly be in the way if you try the other side............

·
Registered
703 Posts
Left or right just get the damn thing out n shine it up. I bought an entire new ignition system points, condensor, coils, wires n plugs for less than 120 bucks. Couldn't hurt if u have money burnin.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NE350 said:
Dennis,

If you are looking for some inspiration check out my thread and the flicker photo link at the bottom of the page :D

http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=206

Good Luck, Matt

Matt,

That WAS inspirational! I just read every post in that 16 page behemoth. And man, your bike looks just beautiful at the end. I think that since what I have is time and a desire to learn hands-on, I'm going to do basically what you did and take it all apart, clean, polish and paint it all where appropriate, and see what happens.

I may go ahead and have someone rebuild the top end, too, but not sure. I would like to have it done by the time the bike goes back together, because the compression is a little low, and the idea of a freshly rebuilt engine on a freshly cleaned and polished setup is a nice idea indeed. Just not sure if doing it myself is a good idea :)

First thing first, though: tomorrow the engine comes out, and things begin. I'm gonna follow Matt's cue and post pics as it goes, too.

Oh yeah: the bolt lists from that thread. Did anyone ever do one for a 360? I would love to put new hardware on at some point.

·
Registered
703 Posts
There is usually a full stainless bolt set on Ebay for the 360. I'm too cheap. If I take the time to polish my engine I may order a set. Doubtful though. My goal is to wheelie the 360.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the tip Dirtbag... I'm certain I'll be scouring ebay a LOT over the winter :).

Today saw some good stuff. I got my area in the garage all cleaned and organized, got my ziplocs and sharpie all ready to go, and got to it. I have the motor 100% ready to come out, and a buddy coming by in the morning to give a hand with pulling it.

No real problems getting it prepped. Removing the carbs was a bit tricky, but only because the throttle cables confused me for a bit! Soon enough, I came to my senses and it was just fine. Also wasn't entirely certain of how to handle the removal of the tach cable, so I just removed it from the gauge end and figure I can mess with the other end once the frame isn't in the way anymore... the tach doesn't work anyway, so it'll be repaired or replaced before its all over anyway.

All in all, I spent maybe 45 minutes or an hour getting it ready, and another 3 hours prepping my workspace. I'm a pretty bad OCDish clean freak, a trait that I imagine will help with this project!

The only thing making me nervous for the future today was the wiring. It all works fine, but it's old, messy, ugly and probably not real stable or fit for the long haul. I am definitely going to replace every bit of it that I can. Thing is, I have literally NO understanding of what that process entails!! When I get to that point, my need for help from y'all will be huge!

Well, that's all. I'll take some pics tomorrow, pre and post motor removal, and likely start a proper log with daily pics in the projects forum!

Thanks again folks! Feeling like I'm off and running, even though I would bet that this expirement results in me claiming a handful (at least!) Of Homer awards!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.