Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The instructions on how to set the valve clearances in my 450 manual states that the crank must be in an exact position but I do it in another way and would like to hear what the experts has to say about this.

If you look at the picture below I assume (and this might be wrong) that the cams are round (in red) except for the lobes. I open up the covers and make sure that both lobes on the cam points away from the followers and then I set the clearances. I rotate the cam a little so I feel that the clearance is the same in more that one position and hey presto, done.

What are your thoughts on this?

[attachment=0:23zlmjwq]Kamsläpor ritning 02.jpg[/attachment:23zlmjwq]

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
That's what I did the last time I set mine. I also didn't understand the point of having the engine in one particular position.

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Your way is fine Ronny, back in the distant past when I was training as a mechanic, I was always told that the best position for setting tappets was to get the valve fully open and then turn crank through 360 degrees, which puts it where you suggest.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm sure with the small amount of duration on these cams that that method works fine but if you ask anyone in the engine building/race engine field you want to adjust the intake when the exhaust just starts to open and adjust the exhaust when the intake just starts to close. This ensures that the valve is closed and on the base circle when you're setting lash. Like I said with the possibilities of large duration cams this is the best way but with most stuff run on the street whether it's a car or motorbike the other way works fine too.
I've worked as an engine machinist/builder for some top tier late model and NASCAR shops and that's the way we've always done it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Anyone feel this way will work? Just get the lobe pointing away 180 degrees, makes perfect sense.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Makes sense to me. I have done it that way myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts