Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I DO realize that this mod I'm considering is for cosmetic purposes only! I just think it would look cool as hell if I could pull it off.
What I'm considering is implementing a boxed aluminum swingarm from a small CR/RM/YZ dirt bike on my CB200 project.
For reasons other than a waste of money and time is there another reason why I should not attempt this? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Here is an example of what I'm looking at.

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
My personal opinion is there is no such thing as a waste of effort...IF it allows you to contemplate an idea and attempt to bring it to fruition..... Even the failures teach us something, and the successes even more.... I attempt oddball stuff almost continuously...

Are you going to run a single cantelevered shock as well?
Steve

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to stick with a dual shock set-up. It would be easier to weld a pair of shock mounts
on a swingarm than go through the trouble of implementing a mono-shock set-up.
......................................but then again, what the heck! ;)

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
If you have the capability to weld aluminum, it might be better/easier to fabricate the complete arm.......(cleaner result)...... :D

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
OK...Just realize that it could cost $50 to $100 just to heli-arc on the shock mounts....
Welding aluminum here is between $12 and $20 an inch.....

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Or he could send it to me, and HOPE/PRAY/PLEAD to the gods, for the best... I'd just mig weld those mounts on.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
With aluminum wire, reversed polarity, and argon/helium shielding gas....Right?.... Yea, I tried that but don't think I'd trust the strength for suspension components...A battery box maybe.....

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm actually building an aluminum swingarm for my CB100 racer from scratch. It's not that dificult. I'll post some pictures ASAP. Fortunately for me I have a nice water cooled tig welder at my disposal. :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm with Steve try to adapt the mono shock as well, nothing ventured nothing gained.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts