Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I begin to repair the stock tank for this 1979 CB400T, is there a tear drop style tank that is a bolt on. I really dislike this ugly, hump backed tank. My tank has some dents that are fixable and has some rust inside that is manageable but I really do not like this tank. What are my choices??? CM400???

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
You can use the teardrop tank off the CM400 I'm sure, but you will have a gap between the back of the tank and the front of the seat. If you pair it with a CM seat, it'll fit just fine.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is good news, except that I just bought a good CB400 seat.
Maybe I can do some trading. Does the CM seat use the same mountings as the CB seat???

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Here's the list of tank sizes http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/67-miscellaneous-discussion/14103-fuel-tank-sizes.html
There are 2 versions of the front rubber pucks, narrow and 2 step. A narrow tank can be installed by cutting down the stud and puck so it's narrow. A wide tank can be fitted by tapping the stud and adding a short bolt and the 2 step puck. I don't know which tanks are what there.
The 78/79 CB rear mount point is further back than the CM's. That can be fixed by adding a piece of bar stock as an extension to move the mount point forward.
This is how the CB400 seat fits against the CM tank
Red Orange Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is not a bad fit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts