Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally went an bought an cb360 K0. The one with the twin leading shoe brake. I already have a cl450 k5 with the same type of front brake. The bike has stood for years but does start and selects all the gears. The cables are all stiff and the air filters are scrap. I found the swing arm to be stuck solid in the frame.
So its been all pulled apart. It took a bit of effort to free the swing arm up but it did come out in the end without any damage.

Every thing came apart ok in the end. So its time to start replacing those bits that are past their best..... like the front brake cable which was rusty and old. Air filters are easy to get. Tyres, battery, drive chain and some new bulbs to follow.

One of the things to be done is to freshen up the zinc bolts that hold the engine in the fame. I want to keep as many of the original bolts as possible but some are very dull.

My question is:- Were the original bolts & spacers Bright Zinc Plated or did they have a dull finish to start with. The front wheel axle is not chromed like the rear wheel axle and needs to be cleaned up. What was the factory finish on these items.
Its all going to be standard when completed.

Thanks
Nairb

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
If you want to keep the original fasteners there are two choices. Buy new from Honda or have the existing nuts and bolts replated. replating is called bright zinc plating. I've never done it, but I've read many stories of people saying it is not that expensive. An alternative is to use stainless steel. I did that on my CB450K5. About 95% of the fasteners are SS. That is a period correct modification. SS was used back in the day. Despite what you chose to do, use anti-seize compound to put it together. It makes maintenance easier and the next owner will appreciate it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On some of the older bikes like the Suzuki gt range of the 70's and the older Honda 360 etc had a logo of sorts on the heads of some of the bolts. An "S" for the Suzuki and a mark for the Honda. So to re-zinc these if they can be saved keeps some originality. I do replace those damaged ones with stainless. Often cheaper than oem ones. And the oem ones have long stopped putting a logo on the bolt heads.
I will send the large items off to be re-zinced. Its very cheap compared to chrome plating.

But they look very bright when finished. I'm sure they did not look this good when standing in the showroom 45+ years ago.

I doubt many of us took much notice of which parts of the bike were satin black or gloss black finish. Or chrome/zinc plated. I dident thats for sure.

·
Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Zinc plating is actually very easy.
The Key is good clean rust free metal so sandblasting is a given to start with.
After that it's a simply process. As the previous poster check out Casswells site.

but here is a look at how they come out in a home system.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts