Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like it’s cam timing season or something.

I just got mine all dialed in last night and with the timing marks of both cams perfectly lined up, as well as the LT mark on the rotor, both the intake and exhaust valves are just slightly open on the left cylinder. Is this correct? I guess this makes sense. Since the left piston is at TDC (end of the exhaust stroke and the beginning of the intake stroke then this is the valve overlap. Correct? All the cam lobes seem to be in their respective “clocked” position.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
According to the service manual, there is about 20 degrees overlap in the valves, with the intake beginning to open 10 degrees before TDC and the exhaust closing at 10 degrees after TDC, so your deduction is correct.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice thanks! That’s a nice depiction of what’s going on. Thanks for the valve opening confirmation also. I’ve read through several manuals and a bunch of threads discussing cam timing and chain installation but never saw anything where someone mentioned both intake and exhaust valves of the left cylinder would be open at this particular point.

Ready to install the engine!
Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Pages 22 and 23 of my Honda service manual; section 3.2.E. If you don't have a copy, you should. There are links to it here, somewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts