Honda Twins banner

All sorts of scary

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  stockton350 
#1 · (Edited)
I got a 1972 Honda CB125 about two weeks ago.
She ran fine but i was out for a drive when she backfired a few times and stoped dead, now i have issues starting her up.
I am totally new to bikes and mechanics so if something that i say does not make sense then please let me know and ill try to elaborate.
I have spent some time in this forum and on youtube so this is what i base my findings on, not experience.

i believe this to be an issue with battery/charging as i we have had the spark plug out and it gives a nice healthy spark (although she might be running rich) and the carb has been cleaned.
The only way i am able to start her is by push start.
Once the engine has run for a bit i can turn it off and she kick starts first kick no problem.
Left over night and she wont start again.
I have battery power as the speedo light comes on.

I wanted to check the wiring and once i took the seat off i realized that this could be bad.
the wiring is awful.
I wanted to check the stator and the rectifier/regulator but i did not have time to check both.

the rectifier/regulator is only connected by two wires (yellow and Pink) not 3 (green is not connected and there is nothing lose to connect to)?? i dont know if this is the issue or if the bike could be wired to not need that 3 circuit??

When i checked the rectifier the unused wire showed higher resistance than the other 500 ish for the used and 720 for the unused. I dont know if this is normal because of the 3 not ever having current trough it or that the unit needs replacing as i understand they should all show the same figure.

My second dilemma is now if i wanted to check the stator, which i have seen how its done, i only have 2 wires not 3 in the loom (the black and white you can see connected to yellow and pink)?

A side from the above do you think that my starting issues are due to battery/charging if the only way i can start it properly is by push start.

Thanks for the looking :)

See less See more
#7 ·
i managed to get her started again :)

Checked the battery and it was at full charge, i also checked and the voltage is going up if i rev the engine so i am hoping that is saying to me that the stator and regulator/rectifier are working (to some extent at least).

I now seem to have an issue with the carburetor so i will start a new thread in the appropriate place.
If someone has a comment about weather they think this was a carburetor issue that killed it in the first place that would be great :)

THanks for looking

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.