Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes you read it right
When I push the toggle to right , the rear indicator comes on bright but so do the other three but much dimmer
When the switch is in the middle they go off

Push it to the left and then the rear left comes only

In both scenarios none of the bulbs flash

I have got all my colours connected correctly Not sure where the green wire coming out of the flasher unit goes to

Any help or pictures would be appreciated

I know the issue is under the seat because up until I was connecting the rear brake lamp everything was working fine

·
Registered
233 Posts
The green wire is ground. Fix that and report your findings.
X2 with Jim, likely if you fix your bad ground you'll be smiling... :)

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
That green wire near the flasher is only for grounding the flasher IF you have the correct three terminal flasher.....On most US models, it remains disconnected.....

The first grounds I would check are the ones for the front lights..... Until they are well grounded, they don't draw enough amperage to "heat" the flasher relay and make it flash.... (apparently, NONE of the grounds are perfect as the circuit is seeking ground via the "other" side through the dash indicator connection)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All understood there is a connector that allows you to connect all the green wires together including the rear light and the green lead of the blinker unit So I have done this but it's still no different Could there be something wrong with the flasher unit

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still struggling with this Still getting all four indicators coming on together which ever I push the switch left or right all four indicators come on and stay on

The only difference is that if I indicate left then the rear left is the brightest of the four If I push the switch right then the rear right is brightest

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
Not flashing COULD be the flasher itself, or lack of good current draw (wrong bulbs, bad grounds, etc)
ALL 4 coming on COULD be a bad switch, bad connections or crossed wiring.......Perhaps IN ADDITION to the above possibilities....

Re: your brake light connections.....If you disconnect the brake light do the flashers go back to working properly?...
You are asking for pictures, but NOT providing any that could help us help you....

Let's start at the beginning:....Do you understand HOW the turn-signal/flasher system circuit works?... (NOT that it does or doesn't)....But HOW the electricity flows through the circuit and when?

IF you have a multimeter and wish to have guidance to troubleshoot this, phone 540-525-5199....... Steve

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My flasher has a grey which I have connected the grey on the loom, a thick green which again I have connected to the cluster of greens because that's Earth and the black on the unit to the black on the loom The indicators are a light blue on the right and Orange on the left again I have put the earth side to the green ground

I have had them all working but messed things up a week ago and haven't touched anything in the head light so it's under the seat . Bought another three wire unit today and again with this unit the only life out of it is a repeat of all four lights comming on And once again if I push left the brightest one is the left rear Push right it's all four on again but this time it's the rear right that's bright I post pictures

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also there's no change to this situation when the rear brake light has been taken away

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
The switch or connections to it are the likely problem as the symptoms related to it's use have changed....

Unless you are outside the North American continent, a TWO terminal flasher is correct, NOT a three terminal one.....

I've offered to guide you, but I can't and won't help further unless/until you get the CORRECT flasher.......

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Unless you are outside the North American continent, a TWO terminal flasher is correct, NOT a three terminal one.....

I've offered to guide you, but I can't and won't help further unless/until you get the CORRECT flasher.......
He may be at a non-NA location. There's no way for us to know, since Moggz has chosen not to make an introductory thread or to fill in his location information in his User CP so that his location appears on each of his posts - and because he did not respond one way or the other to post #4, above, when you stated, "On most US models, it remains disconnected....."

So if he is from another country, I guess it's another example of failing to mention information that might be important in troubleshooting a member's issue. Helping people via forums must be frustrating at times. I guess that might be part of the reason that you offer to let people call you for a one-on-one live conversation from time to time (which the OP hasn't taken you up on, :roll: ).

Anyway, I searched his other posts and found this one:
http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/42...154-start-button-circuit-dead.html#post308421
in which he stated, "Thanks guys oil one very happy Welsh man," which might mean that he was getting lubed in the UK ;) .

Then, again, it might not. I once heard a guy talk about his MiL's "Italian temper" - and she lived in rural West Virginia :lol: . Who knows?

Regards,

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in the UK so the three wire version is correct for my model . I've taken pictures just few moments ago now to figure out how to post them

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
Too much flash creating false "stripes" on the wires...... Let's try a different way......Unplug everything behind the main backbone downtube......

FROM the tail/Brake light you SHOULD have three wires coming forward...... A medium Brown, a Green with yellow stripe, and a Green....
In addition to these, there will be four wires for/from the rear turn-signals: an Orange, a Baby-blue, and two black with green "tags" or two greens.....

ALL of these plug into the matching colour wires in the "tail" branch of the main harness EXCEPT the black with green tag wires are plugged into the same Green multi-connector as the taillight green).....
Your brake-light switch should have a Black and a Green/Yellow stripe wire and plug into a separate "branch" of the harness loom that has those two colours wrapped together, although that "branch" might also include another (or a twin connection Black), a Green, and a Yellow connection for the Regulator......

Once you are correctly plugged in this far, let me know and we can/will proceed....ASK IF IN ANY DOUBT .....Preferably BEFORE making any connection you are unsure of.....

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
In the vicinity of the battery box, you should find several "branches" coming off the main loom.... Please connect as follows, all connections colour to same colour; NOTE that SOME connections may be multiple joinings of the same colour wires into a common (multi-) female connectors....

The Yellow, Black , and Green that are "branched" together go to the Regulator...

The Yellow, Red/white stripe, Green, and Pink go to the Rectifier....These are likely a single "block" plug connection to its match...

A Black and a Yellow/red stripe go to the thinner solenoid wires.... The shorter "heavy" gauge wire, the Red wire (with the fuse holder) and the Red/white stripe wire (with a common ring terminal) connect to one solenoid "bolt terminal" and/or the Battery positive.... The "other" heavy wire (alone) connects to the other bolt terminal and goes to the starter motor...

The remaining "heavy" gauge wire is the connection from Battery negative to engine case/frame ground....

On the left side of the backbone downtube, you should find a connection block that mates to the one on the wiring coming out of the engine cases.....
These will have Pink, Yellow, white and Green with Red stripe wires into them, and likely have a protective rubber "boot" that can slide down over the connections....

The rest of the main loom should be traveling forwards along the backbone (under the tank) at this point .....Let me know if there are any differences in your loom, or there are "extra" or empty connectors at this juncture in the process...
Let me know when you get this far.....

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
Sorry, had eyes dilated from the ophthalmologist visit and hurt to view screen to type......Will continue shortly......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts