Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
might have made a mistake on a purchase without doing too much research. just purchased a set of All Balls Bearings but the product description says its for a 72 cb350 and I have a 71 cb350. The Manufacturer Part Number is: 41-6227. Will it fit?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I can't give you an answer for sure but I'd say (guess) you'll be ok... Honda changed a lot of things over the years on individual models of bikes, but neck bearings weren't one of them that were changed on the same model AFAIK..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yes, the stems stayed pretty much consistant...........The fork tubes and affixing method (top-bolt or pinch-bolt type and tube spacing) are what changed

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just put a set in my 1970 CB350 and the rep at AllBalls said it would fit up to 73.... Very simple mod, just read the directions regarding the washers... I measured mine and it didn't need it... Make sure that you hit the old race and not the race stop which is welded into the stem/fork tube... Mine is smooth as silk now, I can definitely feel the difference..... Hope it helps...

·
Registered
282 Posts
does anyone have any photos of how they installed their All balls tapered bearings? what way is up/down, do the bearings sit on the race built into the frame head tube?

i've done a forum search and tried to figure it out myself but i don't feel like messing it up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
When I did this conversion on my '78 CB750K, the old races had to be removed and new races installed in the steering head and on the steering stem. Didn't your kit come with instructions? Mine did, and it's a good thing, because there are extra spacers in the kit for different build/stack heights. Follow the instructions! It isn't difficult, but you can mess it up if you choose the wrong spacers.

Here's a link over to the SOHC4 forum thread where I photo-detailed the install. My thread was incorporated into a massive collected thread over there. My story begins on p. 6, about 1/2 way down: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=1516.125

Good luck with it.

Kirk

·
Registered
282 Posts
kirkn said:
When I did this conversion on my '78 CB750K, the old races had to be removed and new races installed in the steering head and on the steering stem. Didn't your kit come with instructions? Mine did, and it's a good thing, because there are extra spacers in the kit for different build/stack heights. Follow the instructions! It isn't difficult, but you can mess it up if you choose the wrong spacers.

Here's a link over to the SOHC4 forum thread where I photo-detailed the install. My thread was incorporated into a massive collected thread over there. My story begins on p. 6, about 1/2 way down: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=1516.125

Good luck with it.

Kirk
nice. that is a great write up. looks like i'm set! thanks kirk.

·
Registered
282 Posts
is there any trick to getting a stuck race out? the race in the bottom of the head tube is really in there. i've been hammering at it for hours. and heat is not an option as i don't have the gear and i just powder coated my frame.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
A good punch and heavy hammer should be all that is needed. I've never seen any stuck in there that badly.. Make sure you're hitting the race and not the race "stop" built into the neck..

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
danfr said:
is there any trick to getting a stuck race out? the race in the bottom of the head tube is really in there. i've been hammering at it for hours. and heat is not an option as i don't have the gear and i just powder coated my frame.
See if you can find a piece of pipe just the right diameter to fit down through the top, then have at it.
One problem with using a punch is that the race can get "cocked" inside the neck, becoming almost impossible to get out.
Another option is to just beat it severely, and it will probably break - they're very brittle.

·
Registered
282 Posts
i have been trying a socket that fits on top of the race perfectly with a beefy extension bar. i also tried an old screwdriver. the race is tilted/angled. maybe i'll try to hammer it back in. i'll be sure to be careful around the race stop.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
danfr said:
i have been trying a socket that fits on top of the race perfectly with a beefy extension bar. i also tried an old screwdriver. the race is tilted/angled. maybe i'll try to hammer it back in. i'll be sure to be careful around the race stop.
You'll end up with your socket permanently stuck to the extension - they're not made for that sort of stress....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i'm having the same problem. The bottom one is at the lip of the steering column but the top is stuck in there pretty good. Danfr let me know if you founda solution.

·
Registered
282 Posts
kine8282 said:
i'm having the same problem. The bottom one is at the lip of the steering column but the top is stuck in there pretty good. Danfr let me know if you founda solution.

nothing yet. i have been trying to hammer back the high side but no such luck. i was thinking angle grinder...hacksaw.....

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
For the life of me I just can't see why you guys are having such a hard time with this. A large punch and large hammer got both of mine out in under 5 minutes. On my 450 that is.. Maybe there are some differences that I'm not aware of...?

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
For the life of me I just can't see why you guys are having such a hard time with this. A large punch and large hammer got both of mine out in under 5 minutes. On my 450 that is.. Maybe there are some differences that I'm not aware of...?
Nope, no difference, same parts - you just have to beat the livin' snot out of them........

They rarely just "tap" out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
tbpmusic said:
Bird76Mojo said:
Nope, no difference, same parts - you just have to beat the livin' snot out of them........

They rarely just "tap" out.
got it out using a long heavy duty chisel (bunt on the end) and hammer. no finesse just brutal hammering. some gouging on the inside where the top was stuck but nothing my dremel cant fix. thanks for the tips

·
Registered
439 Posts
no-one mentioned it here so I'll add to this.... i made a tool for removing bearing cups from readily available plumbing parts. I simply took a set of cups to the local plumber's store and sized up a long piece of 3/4 galv-pipe with connectors that fit the OD of each cup. eeze-peeze. can post pics if needed but its pretty straight forward. danWI

Reactions: Shawn fetter

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I just use an old rear axle and a 5lb sledge.....Works every time......(the BFH method)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So now that i've taken out the race cup that was stuck on bottom the of the neck does any one have a trick on getting the race cup out of the bottom of the triple tree?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts