Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been through my carbs given everything a good clean, replaced all o rings and set float height.

Bit confused re base settings for air screw, i've read the owners manual and it seems to vary between 3/4 turn and 1 1/8 turn.

Bike is a 1971 CL350

The common motorcycle youtube video suggest 2 turns, but they are doing a carbs for a 360.

Where should I start.

I cant run the bike yet as my exhausts are away for repair and I'm waiting for new air filters, but want to be a near as possible when the time comes

Cheers

Tim

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Pilot screws are usually adjusted for the highest idle per side with the bike at running temp. That can be anywhere from 1/4 to 2 1/2 turns. Anything more than that and you may need to look at getting the next size larger pilot jets. Start with 1 turn and follow your manual for tuning, each bike is different and will not react the same as others do given climate and altitude. Youtubes are good starting point but not hard stone facts.

If you do not have a factory service manual you can find one here. Get it while you can this server may be going away in few weeks.

http://74.113.168.218/manuals/350/Honda Cb250 Cb350 Cl250 Cl350 1968-1973.pdf

·
Registered
5 Posts
Different carbs different settings. How many different carbs were there on the CB360? Three or four I think and their "baseline" air screw settings vary.

Best thing to do, I think, is to run the bike up to operating temperature on a lonesome road and tune for highest idle while keeping the idle at the suggested idle rpm when it changes. Probably around 1,200. When getting too much fuel I had to give my bike a little blip of throttle to burn the extra fuel, but that may be another issue all of my own, so don't take that to heart. Turning the screws in small increments and waiting for a change in idle helps. Changes are not instant, but close. One thing to note while tuning was I never let the bike sit running for very long doing this. The rise in temperature while sitting throws things off for me if I'm there too long. That may not be a big concern for people that get stuck in traffic though. Could go on and on with the variables... which is why I'll tune the air screws almost daily depending on the weather. I've even installed an ambient temp gauge along with humidity and I think I should add a barometer too! Kidding about those... but! hmmm.....

I agree with Frogger though, start at 1 and go from there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts