Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, have a 69 cb350, can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the air box to gain access to the regulator. On face, I have one bolt up top, rubber air intake, and a clip on bolt for the cover. Manual says this clip on bolt comes off, but just spins for me. Tried pulling, adding pressure etc. Hoping I'm just missing something obvious...

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It goes all the way through the other side with another nut like it there. Put wrenches on both and turn... and you should post an introduction in the Members Introduction area so we can get to know you and your bike - that yellow looks like it's on the rear fender. Pictures?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was thinking similar, can't even get my hand behind it. Hoping I don't need to remove the fender?

Realizing I may have posted this in the wrong tree... Cb350.. I'll make sure to get some info up!

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok.. feeling like an idiot again.. still can't get the element removed despite getting the box opened. Feels like a hidden bolt somewhere.. shop manual shows 2 but this can't be stock..

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
While I realize the picture in the manual doesn't look exactly like yours, look at the parts picture in the link I posted from cmsnl.com - it looks like yours. I wonder if the rubber connector gasket behind the filter where the two filters are interconnected (#2 in the picture) is just really stuck... like maybe someone before you put some sealer on it.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
He is looking at the SL350 Section of the manual.
They use very different air filters.

Behind the Paper element part is a tube that runs between both ari boxes.

There is a rubber gromet gasket that sits in ther and is REALLY Tight and if it has been sitting undisturbed for several years may have dried up inplace and is really stuck.

Just Pull it will come off.

Reactions: Elfargo

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yep, that's what I was trying to explain... #2 in the CB350 air filter parts fiche in the link above is the part we're talking about - gotta be stuck hard, just pull hard - just try not to bend the metal frames of your air filters

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys, I'll give it a good yank and see what happens

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
The Air Filter has a small Bell shaped part that fit into the part #2 which is rubber .
See pic of the back side of the metal backing plate.

Airfilter-01.JPG

·
Registered
60 Posts
If the filters didn’t have the bell shaped rubber part fitted, how would that affect performance? For instance, poor idle?

My bike didn’t have these parts and I didn’t realise they existed until I read this post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
The tube between the (2) filters helps to smooth out the pulses of vacum created by the 270 deg crank.

If it was not sealed it wouldn't do the task as well but I doubt it would effect the performance too much but you would be sucking in some percentage of unfilter air.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
...helps to smooth out the pulses of vacum created by the 270 deg crank.
Isn't the 350 twin commonly a 180° crank? I think some models early on were available with 360° cranks (Type 2, IIRC) but that's all I've ever known of, curious if it's a model that never made it to the US

absolutely correct about the unfiltered air part

·
Registered
60 Posts
Cheers. I’ve managed to find a gent who makes reproduction ones as they are NLA and no one has stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts