Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty excited to be building another race bike and since everyone here enjoys seeing what other people are putting together; I thought I would start a build log of my project and share mine.
As a bit of an overview I'll share my plan and let you all join in on the steps as I go. Looking forward to this build and getting all your feed back as it happens.
I'm building this to be a pretty competitive bike in both 350 and 500 Sportsman classes in AHRMA. With that in mind I'm not sparing a lot of expense on this build but I'm also making my own parts where I can, because I can.
I'm starting with an SL350 frame that's been braced and welded where needed. Getting new front and rear wheels and a sweet new 4ls front brake, Racetech suspension, Mikunis with custom velocity stacks, new tach and a bunch of other trick parts.
And to not go into too much detail it will all be powered by an engine originally built by Todd Hennning that I hope to get about 48-50hp out of.
Hope you enjoy the ride as much as me!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be sure to document as much of this as I can or remember to. Often I'll get a few steps ahead and forget to take pictures. But I'll do my best.
Here is a pic of the frame so far. New bronze swing arm bushings and tapered bearings on the 550 triple tree. And I just finished lacing up the rear hub to my new rim!
Next will be the front forks and getting the rake and trail dialed in so I can order my rear shocks. Can't wait!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got this figured out I think. I don't think the mobile version was letting me see the pics.

Anyway, got my front springs and Gold Valves from Racetech in. I'll be getting these all prepped and put in as soon as my fork lowers are back from getting anodized. It's like Christmas over here!

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was out of the country for a bit and when I got back I had my new exhaust waiting for me! These are made by Jon Easton of Jemco in Houston. I'm glad he survived the floods and is still making great stuff.
I also sent my engine off to my builder to have it gone through and figure out what upgrades we need to make.

Iron Auto part Machine Metal

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was able to get some more work done on the forks. Got the lowers back from anodizing and put fresh seals in. Gold valves and springs from Racetech were installed as well.
Dampening and preload will need to be set after some time on the track but I put in some spacers for a good starting point. 15 weight oil to start.

Bicycle part Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle drivetrain part Bicycle fork
Auto part Hand Automotive engine part Nut Metal
Auto part Suspension Suspension part Automotive engine part Spark plug
Auto part

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got my rear tire mounted and threw a front on from an old race bike so now I can set up the rake and trail and get my rear shocks ordered.
It's starting to look like a real bike! Some other parts have come in but I won't get to those for a while.

Vehicle Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle part Spoke

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was able to spend some time on getting the angles just right and now I can order my rear shocks. This set up is more of a modern race set up, should be super responsive. But this means I will also be getting a really good steering damper to combat any issues that may come up at speed.

Vehicle Tire Bicycle fork Bicycle wheel Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Can you elaborate on what your doing above?, looks like you're gonna order really long shocks. The sprocket and chain run relationship should stay pretty close to stock to maintain a neutral chain pull or somthing like that. I read it in a book once:). Maybe that's not what your doing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lefty, yeah you are correct. I guess I didn't really explain that the picture was just how I was doing the angle adjusting and measuring so the picture isn't the final position I would be in. I will post one of the final with an empty case in it to show the chain added to get max shock travel and ride height.
I would have to do some major frame modifications if I wanted some more swing arm angle and I might lengthen it a bit too since the bike would be really twitchy with the short wheel base I'm sure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here is a picture of my final set up. This is with the bike at the longest travel possible. This will allow for the shocks to be made with the longest extension set at this height. Ride height will be slightly less because of my weight on it and some fine tuning once everything is on. This is still fairly aggressive but will make the bike more responsive than stock.
Since I’m using modern suspension and a massively upgraded front brake I should be able to hit corners as fast as possible and still maintain decent control. Not as swoopy as a stock CB set up.

I put in an empty case with the sprocket attached so I can make sure I have chain clearance at top and bottom of shock travel.

Next will be to put on the new front wheel and set up the hand controls.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Bicycle wheel Tire Spoke

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Lefty, yeah you are correct. I guess I didn't really explain that the picture was just how I was doing the angle adjusting and measuring so the picture isn't the final position I would be in. I will post one of the final with an empty case in it to show the chain added to get max shock travel and ride height.
I would have to do some major frame modifications if I wanted some more swing arm angle and I might lengthen it a bit too since the bike would be really twitchy with the short wheel base I'm sure.
Sounds like you know what your after, looking forward to your updates!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got the front tire mounted on my new wheel and hub! And holy crap does it look big! It's a Honda RC 162 230mm brake. It will give me about 300 times the braking surface of stock. It's a monster. And it's almost the same weight as stock too. 4ls is basically modern stopping power on these bikes.
I'm sure I will be taking these off and on a ton but I just wanted to see what it looks like. I still have to cut some gas relief in the shoes and make sure they are all arched in correctly. I'll post pics of that when I do it.

Bicycle wheel Spoke Vehicle Bicycle part Tire

1 - 20 of 32 Posts