Honda Twins banner
581 - 600 of 621 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #581 ·
update- I assembled the motor and went to degree the cam and realized that I could not achieve 0 lash. This is a problem.. So I waited till friday morning and called RD spring and ordered some .035 lash caps. Thy were closing early ( I live an hour and half away and was going to drive to get them but instead had them ship to me ( they arrived saturday). I tore down the top end ad put in the lash caps. I was invited to go to Motorcyclist Magazines "Hack Day" they rent Chuckwalla race track and have friends and industry people come out and ride for the day just to blow off steam. So I had to degree the motor, re instal the motor, put on new throttle cable and throttle, exhaust, air filters, and put on misc hardware eat... Got finished up about 12:30 am, and left for the race track this morning at 4:45 am.
Had an amazing day at the track, kept my son out of school so that he could go tot the track too. Owen is 8, he loves riding motorcycles. He road races and also races flat track and speedway. I was going to have him ride in the paddock and do corner drills eat as the track has an age requirement of 14 yrs. to ride on the track solo. I gave him a 2up ride on a new FZ09- after a warm up lap we broke 100 on the front straight ;) I heat cycled the 350 3x and gave it the once over before I took her out on the big track. Took her around mellow first lap and then started to lean into it. Third lap was dragging knee and giving her full power int he straights . She felt great and I can not wait to ride her at Willow in 4 weeks!

·
Registered
362 Posts
update- I assembled the motor and went to degree the cam and realized that I could not achieve 0 lash. This is a problem.. So I waited till friday morning and called RD spring and ordered some .035 lash caps. Thy were closing early ( I live an hour and half away and was going to drive to get them but instead had them ship to me ( they arrived saturday). I tore down the top end ad put in the lash caps. I was invited to go to Motorcyclist Magazines "Hack Day" they rent Chuckwalla race track and have friends and industry people come out and ride for the day just to blow off steam. So I had to degree the motor, re instal the motor, put on new throttle cable and throttle, exhaust, air filters, and put on misc hardware eat... Got finished up about 12:30 am, and left for the race track this morning at 4:45 am.
Had an amazing day at the track, kept my son out of school so that he could go tot the track too. Owen is 8, he loves riding motorcycles. He road races and also races flat track and speedway. I was going to have him ride in the paddock and do corner drills eat as the track has an age requirement of 14 yrs. to ride on the track solo. I gave him a 2up ride on a new FZ09- after a warm up lap we broke 100 on the front straight ;) I heat cycled the 350 3x and gave it the once over before I took her out on the big track. Took her around mellow first lap and then started to lean into it. Third lap was dragging knee and giving her full power int he straights . She felt great and I can not wait to ride her at Willow in 4 weeks!
It takes me and a mechanic 4 wks to build an engine.. you do it in one night and rip on a track the next day.. haha love it man. Sounds awesome! Good to hear it's back up and running. Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #583 ·
Thanks Tony! I am really looking forward to Willow, Miller and Barber this year. I had some mechanical demons last season, and was quite frustrated. Vintage bikes are always a learning experience. I think it is one of the reasons that we do this.
its going to rain here for a few days, so no new pis yet, I did start to put my new number plates on, will post pics when the sun comes back out !

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #584 ·
a little over a week to go till the Corsa Moto Classica at Willow Springs. If you live anywhere near Los Angeles, you need to go to this race! Racing, bike show and swap meet. Best day to come is Saturday but we are racing Sunday also.. hope to see some HT members out there!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #586 · (Edited)
CJ
Willow was fun, weather was great. Saturdays race went well, I think I was 5th of 12 in sportsman 350. I was battling some jetting issues ( the issue was that I was still jetted for Miller in Utah and on top of that I have a new ported head on the motor. So jetting adjustments need to be handled, but race day wasn't the day to try and tackle this. Sundays race didn't go as well. The bike was really jerky on and off the gas, I was running in 6th trying to chase down another rider. Mid corner of turn 2 the bike just shut off. I thought that maybe I had lost a valve. I pop started the bike and felt like I was at 50% power and I was pissed. I limped the bike around past start finish (to finish the race) and pulled into the dirt. I went back to the pits and decided to pull the plugs and see if I could see damage. Everything looked alright and valves were functioning... thats when I saw that the choke was still on ..... FML.. my buddy Kevin said , check your gas.. tank was bone dry. I had left the choke on and run out of fuel.. dumb ass mistake. oh well first time for everything right??!! Still had a great time, saw a ton of friends, felt better and more comfortable on the bike so it was a good weekend!! Owen went with me too and he tore up the kart track on his crf50 road race bike for literally 8 hours each day!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am really glad that Saturday went well. 5th is a damn impressive finish. Sorry about the oversight that screwed you on Sunday. I actually had a stock 350 that was bogging above 4000RPM once upon a time. I was banging my head against the wall for over a week before I realized that the choke linkage was disconnected and the right carb was half choked the whole time. I felt like such an idiot. Anyhow, **** happens.

Owen looks like he is really getting after it. That is totally awesome. Do they just let the little guys rip around until they are tired, or are there formal races at his age?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #590 ·
Well its update time.. the Barber Vintage festival is less than 2 weeks away so I am busy prepping the bike for some more racing. We made a revision to the race exhaust and I am excited to get back on track with the 350. If you have never been to Barber or don't know what the Barber Vintage festival is..... Its heaven
It is the largest vintage event in America if not the world
Attendance has been around 70,000 people the last few years.. The event is held at Barber Motorsports park in Birmingham Alabama which also has the largest motorcycle collection in the world (in its own multi story beautiful museum)! if you are into vintage bikes... this is the one event you must go to!! It has a huge swap meet, racing, museum, midway with wall of death and manufacturer tents, auction, ace cafe, did I say racing!!! I look forward to this event so much..my first year racing here I blew up a part in my motor, and couldn't find a spare in the pits. So I went to the swap meet and bought a whole motor and pulled the parts I needed to fix my bike and raced the next day!
enough babbling out of me, watch for new pics and updates as I prep the bike this week. She is going in a trailer this coming weekend to be shipped to Alabama.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the new version of the exhaust, Chad. (As long as the next week goes well for me,) I will be gridded up against you in Sportsman.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks like changed to 4 pieces instead of 3 and a changed bracket. Pretty sexy. Any other geometry changes?

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #598 ·
no geometry change at all, we just added another slip fitting (4th piece). It may be overkill, but I had a weld seam crack on my race bike at Sonoma. I am sure it was totally due to -RACE CONDITIONS- we added the 4th piece for a little more movement in the system.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #599 · (Edited)
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

The race bike is prepped and loaded in my truck, I have to drop it off today to be loaded into the trailer for its journey to Alabama for the Barber Vintage Fest. Wish me luck! I will post a race report/ Barber highlights update when I return!

·
Registered
15 Posts
View attachment 107897 View attachment 107905

The race bike is prepped and loaded in my truck, I have to drop it off today to be loaded into the trailer for its journey to Alabama for the Barber Vintage Fest. Wish me luck! I will post a race report/ Barber highlights update when I return!
I'll come look for you. I'm about to venture down the Production Lightweight path. I have sidecar #375.

Reactions: darksidephoto
581 - 600 of 621 Posts