Honda Twins banner
41 - 60 of 623 Posts
have they added an idle circuit to the PVL system or is it still full advance only?

did you ask Buff, and that's how he responded or is that just something he told you in a different context?

the idle characteristics of the X-5 Cam don't really answer the question of does the PVL ignition have an idle circuit.

Discussion starter · #44 ·
I had mentioned to him in a conversation while I was trying to decide wether to purchase the PVL or to use my Boretech ignition for my race bike. I said something like " I have heard that the PVL ignitions idle very high, and his response was that the PVL doesnt set the idle and the X5 doesnt like to idle below 1500-1800 rpm"

I've never been impressed with Buff in his ability (or lack thereof) to answer direct questions.

I can't tell if he's being deliberately evasive or just doesn't know (I suspect the latter). I get the impression he is more of an engine assembler and someone else does the engineering part.

I haven't researched the PVL system recently but as of a few years ago it only had a single setting for timing which you set at 33 degrees BTDC or more and had no provision for an idle circuit. which means that no matter if the X-5 cam will idle at 15 to 1800 RPMs it would require an idle circuit to do so.

if you want to be able to idle, you'll need the bore tech system (which isn't as good once you are running though as all cam triggered ignitions tend to bounce above 9000 RPMs due to cam chain whip.

Crank fired ignitions will provide much better high RPM running because the timing is more consistent.

with no idle circuit though you will need to constantly blip the throttle to keep it from stalling or just set idle at 2500 rpms.
this means that if something happens and you're on the starting grid for more than a few short minutes, your engine will overheat...especially with those THR high compression pistons that require 40 degrees of timing advance to make up for the low flame spead

there is no free lunch in engine building :) you just have to pick the compromises you are most comfortable living with .

that's why I prefer to work with Bill from Bore-Tech...Bill will discuss the options and consequences with you in your build spec. I don't think Buff is capable of telling you anything except the spec he was given/uses in his builds.

Discussion starter · #46 ·
Just ordered THR pistons, and Barnett clutch frictions and springs. All of the motor parts have been ordered and are in route! the valve train arrived yesterday and I promptly took it to the machinist. He was going to start cleaning the head and rough port it today. When I arrive home my X5 cam and cam gear should be waiting for me! excited!!

Discussion starter · #53 ·
I used a freeze plug (30mm) interference fit at the kicker hole. I have had some people say to plug it, and some say it doesnt matter. My mindset was that the kicker does block it in normal conditions and that is how it was designed so I better block it. I used a little epoxy for extra peace of mind ! its never coming out!

Attachments

Discussion starter · #55 ·
so... I was missing one of the little clips in the shift dog, and I thought for sure I would be able to find one locally and throw it in tonight. Boy was I wrong, I called about 10 shops and no one had one in stock! I pondered buying one on ebay but then thought about how long shipping would take. The only option left was to tear down the last spare motor in my garage. The motor in question was a spare that I bought from Ari Henning a few months ago. So wen I got home , I tore into Ari's motor and got the clip I needed. fast forward a few hours and I was assembling the bottom end. I was kind of crazed tonight! I wanted to shoot clear paint onto the lower case before we assembled anything. The problem is that Eastwoods' diamond clear doesnt like cold or humidity. So I warmed the paint and lower case in my house for an hour , masked everything off and painted the case right outside my front door, and would bring it in to the heat of the house for the drying time. Once it dried, I inserted a NOS rubber ball betwen the case halves , replaced the missing cotter pin and finished the internals. I let the lower case dry for a while and started applying the case glue.. al went well, and here are some pics of the finished bottom end
thanks
Chad
PS - the trans on Ari's bike looked better so i swapped them out.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #57 ·
Just got off the phone with Chad at Sudco..... Mikuni VM32 set is being set up for me, they will ship next week! I ordered a range of mains and pilots- 4 sizes up and 3 sizes down on mains, and 2 up and 2 down on the pilots. It is coming together!

Discussion starter · #58 ·
my new rims showed up yesterday, they are modern Borani/Akront knock offs- 18x2.15 36 hole drilled 7.1 at 22 degrees. They are high polish and look great! I will be taking them on Monday to the wheel builder. My front wheel is my longest lead time item on the bike. The wheel builder will ship my front wheel to Michael at Vintage Brake as soon as the wheel is built and trued

Attachments

Discussion starter · #59 ·
I am in Arizona Till Sunday night, my FZR 400 forks should arrive at my house today , and I will take them to Racetech on my lunch hour Monday, I am so lucky that I live where I live. There are so many great shops and resources in my area!
I will drop the rims and hubs off to the wheel builder after work monday alos, all of the hubs are back from polishing, I will post pictures of them tomorrow.

Discussion starter · #60 ·
here is a picture of my girlfriend on her first ride! When we were in Thailand/Cambodia last summer she crashed a scooter in the first 30 seconds she was on it, I have been reluctant to put her on anything else!!! figured she couldnt get in too much trouble on a mini bike in the dirt with nothing around to hit but bushes! hahahahaha
she did great after a 10 minute lesson, now she is off and running.. I have always hoped that I could build her or co-build with her a CB160 for her to ride so she can participate with me..

Attachments

41 - 60 of 623 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.