Honda Twins banner

AHRMA 350 sportsman build (take 2)

172K views 622 replies 63 participants last post by  darksidephoto 
I'm guessing that things like the engine have been removed already and you're working with a bare frame. If so then do section of cutting and welding rather than doing it all at once. That way the frame will stay aligned side to side. Actually cutting those seams off isn't necessary, just a continuous weld along the mating edge will do the trick. Not a pretty though ;)
One other thing I've seen mentioned is adding a cross brace on the lower tubes where the footpeg bar was to stiffen the frame.

This has become my favorite topic to read. Everything is coming along so nice and so quick.
On frame welding I would think the continuous seam would be stronger than the stitch weld, I'm not a welder however. What we found in the early 70's with the Datsun's though was that a continuous weld would result is stress fractures in the floor pan after a racing season. Of course most of these were done with an arc welder since no one could afford the MIG or TIG and that may be the difference

Tail and tank should match fairly close. I think the classic Honda paint color and scheme for the year would look sharp.

Yes, it is. My VB carb rebuild topic took all the pictures out of line and dumped everything at the end. Some pictures in other sections have vanished.

I'm impressed with all of this Chad. Nice work that you're doing.
What's the weather supposed to be Wednesday at Willow?

you have to love California weather!!
Not! It's been raining for the last week and @50 degrees up north here. Might clear on Friday

I'm pretty sure they changed the track a bit since I was last there 30 years ago but there was a downhill turn back then that went slightly off camber 1/2 way across the corner.

picked up some Motul 10w40 , going to give the race bike another oil change tomorrow and adjust valves, call me obsessive but I look at it like cheap insurance. Megacycle actually suggests Motul and a few other race oils as "preferred" because they have high zinc content which is better on the hard parts.
I will most likely change oil after every race, but not every track day.
That's a very good plan Chad but I would include the track days as well.

I officially signed up today for the Willow springs races. I have race school Friday all day followed by the races Saturday and Sunday
I will be racing Sportsman 350 and Sportsman 500 on Saturday and Sunday! ( 4 races total )
I am excited and want to race in as many as I can during the weekend!
Add in practice and qualifying and you're going to be good a tired come Sunday night with lots of seat time, LOL

Drill press, machinist vice and new tungsten-carbide bits is the best way to drill them.
You've discovered the racers curse, time. Get home tired, feel good about the racing and take a week off because you deserve it thinking "I have plenty of time to get ready for the next one" The only solution I found was get home take 1 day off and start in working on everything that's needed with the hopes that it'll all be done before the next race. Helps also to start a list of things to be done by the next race as soon as you get to the track and unloaded. I had a checklist of each maintenance item that had to be checked before each race plus the to do list

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.