Honda Twins banner

AHRMA 350 sportsman build (take 2)

172K views 622 replies 63 participants last post by  darksidephoto 
If you want less offset, a set of 500/4 or 550/4 trees might work for you....You MAY have to swap stems, although some have fitted them (to 450's) without further mods...Stem swap if running taper bearings in the neck...

Here's a pic of the top bridge from a 550/4 with measurements.... 183mm c/c on tubes, 44mm forward offset (center of stem to centerline between tubes)

Yeah....Won't be much help with those 38mm forks, but may help someone running 35's.......:D

Won't the stock covers (longer bolts) fit outboard of the PVL plate?

I only asked because on the 160 and 175 "sloper" engines, we made up a thin flat plate with an additional seal holder (for the crankshaft) for the ignitions....
The original outer covers would then mount, but the round dyno cover would be tilted or up-side-down as it then used the cast-in mounts for the stator, after it was removed.....
Admittedly, there are differences as the 160/175's use only one twin lead coil......
The "new" inner plate sealed in the oil (so no chances of disqualification) and also provided the mount and adjustments for the ignition (like your THR plate)....
Perhaps a spacer to move the stock cover outwards (like a thick metal gasket) would be a fix for you....

It's a race bike......It will always be a work in progress......LMAO!.....
The efforts to extract that last bit of horsepower and fractional second of speed without injuring reliability is a never-ending quest....
Fortunately, all it takes is time, effort, and CUBIC money......

You'll never be a plumber.....You have fluids attempting to flow uphill from the bowl overflow tubes....The carbs will flood first.....
"Catch-can" should be mounted below the lowest point of any hose leading to it, and hoses must not extend into it far enough to be shut-off by fluid build up......Tech might flunk that as-is....

Back in "the old days", we used "baby-bottles"....
The nipple was cross cut to allow insertion of the hoses and it's additional height and semi-seal both held the hoses and kept fluid from splashing-out....

Excellent work on the number-plate mount.... I like how it's combined with the fork stop.....
Just FYI, I would have rounded the three "points" of the support plate a bit more (About a 2" circle section).....
IF I was working Tech, I'd fail it for the "spearing" possibility as unlikely as that is...
Overall, the bike is BEAUTIFUL!

I guess it all depends on the inspector...AND the venue......
Our TZ (factory set-up) failed at Daytona until we wrapped the fork sliders with a strip of duct tape to prevent the stock "phillips" drain screws from coming out during the race....
The next time, they were safety wired hex heads.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.