Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold a surfboard and am now ordering new brake line, banjos, and master cylinder that will work better with flatter bars. I found this MC on amazon for about 50 bucks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L0ET52I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3FU5TBQS82L5W&psc=1 it's by 4into1 so it's a decent source. However, they have very similar items for about 20 bucks and then there are really nice once for over 100 bucks.

Does anyone have any input? I'm about to order this part off amazon but thought I'd check in with the experts to see!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I sold a surfboard and am now ordering new brake line, banjos, and master cylinder that will work better with flatter bars. I found this MC on amazon for about 50 bucks. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L0ET52I/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3FU5TBQS82L5W&psc=1 it's by 4into1 so it's a decent source. However, they have very similar items for about 20 bucks and then there are really nice once for over 100 bucks.

Does anyone have any input? I'm about to order this part off amazon but thought I'd check in with the experts to see!
The one in your link looks a lot like the one I put on my CB450 K4 (except mine isn't black), it worked beautifully from day one. That's about what I paid for mine.
It was a giant relief not to put up with that crummy old OEM master - after 40 years it was beyond help.........

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one in your link looks a lot like the one I put on my CB450 K4 (except mine isn't black), it worked beautifully from day one. That's about what I paid for mine.
It was a giant relief not to put up with that crummy old OEM master - after 40 years it was beyond help.........
Thanks, Bill. I just ordered. Got too anxious. Gotta keep that money out of the christmas fund and the home item bucket!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I had one of these on my bike before I started resto-modding it. It was marketed as a CB400 master cylinder. It worked really well. The only thing that was weird about it is the lever was beefier than the clutch lever, but you get over it real fast. I don't recall how much I paid for it, but it was in that ballpark.

I am now running with one of the reproduction (OEM style) ones from 4into1 (or DSS, I don't recall).

Reactions: Gobo

·
Registered
555 Posts
+1 on the repro OEM styles ones - I've got one on my 360 that works brilliantly. The reproductions seem to cost at most as much as a rebuild kit for your original, so IMO worth the price of not having to rebuild the gummy old parts.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Put one on my wife's 450 after rebuilding the origional (not great results).... front brake works And RELEASES as it should.. looking at getting one for my 450 and forgo the "attempt to clean and fix"...
$20-rebuild kits- not great results
$40-new master-great results..
Easy choice..
The rebuilds build pressure.. just don't release...could be as simple as the check valve

Reactions: Gobo

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I will report back if I have any issues. Hopefully I ordered the right parts and it'll all go smoothly. I didn't order the left side, yet, but plan to replace all of it. One interesting thing that I can't figure out is that the current brake assembly that attaches to the handlebars has a notch in it where it looks like it should fit into the throttle assembly so they line up properly, but it does not. There does not appear to be a notch. Might this be because someone has already replaced the throttle and kill switch assembly?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Interestingly, mine also has a tab with no notch. I think it may be some kind of reference mark, but I don’t think it slots into anything. The tab on mine also doesn’t have any obvious wear where it might have slotted into anything.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interestingly, mine also has a tab with no notch. I think it may be some kind of reference mark, but I don’t think it slots into anything. The tab on mine also doesn’t have any obvious wear where it might have slotted into anything.
Okay, good to know, thanks. That's odd. Maybe it's just to show you the alignment.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put the new part on and it's very nice looking and feels great. It's bigger than I thought but matches the oem part very closely except the slanted reservoir. The other difference is that the hose comes off the front rather than the side. I might have ordered different banjo bolt angles if I had known, but it looks pretty nice. The 36" hose is still a tiny bit long so I routed it differently and zip-tied it to the speedometer cable instead of through the stock guides. It looks cleaner I think.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
In some instances the banjo fitting threads are identical to the master so the hose can be directly screwed in w/o the banjo

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In some instances the banjo fitting threads are identical to the master so the hose can be directly screwed in w/o the banjo
Interesting! The hose I got it female on both ends though? Also, that would make an even worse angle since it comes out the front. I think it looks fine now. If it looks wonky when I'm done with the controls and dash area, then I'll try to update it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts