Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "barn find" CL450K3 that I'm trying to get running. It's pretty much complete and original, except for some cosmetic issues like surface rust and a so-so repaint job. The engine seems to have good compression. Clean title. But no spark -- that's where I got stuck.

Although I've restored bikes in worse shape than this one, I'm getting old, and I'm running out of money, time, and patience.

If I throw in the towel, do you think I should sell the bike intact on Ebay or Craigslist, or should I part it out? Guys on this forum seem to have good luck parting out bikes. I parted out a Honda crotch rocket once and made a few hundred dollars, but it was a pain.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
I'm going to repeat what 76Twin said. Its a pain in the butt to part out a bike. Takes a long time, and not all the parts will get sold so you'll get stuck with that mess.

Sell it outright, give someone else a crack at it.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I don't think you are going to find many people on this site who are going to tell you part the bike out. We are into restoring, riding, enjoying and sharing our experiences. All of us would like to make a buck, but most of us understand there is a cost to doing these things. It is not about money, it is about the motorcycle. Getting a little old is a lame excuse. Several of the very active people on this site are over 70 and I'm 64. I am not above taking a three day weekend, pulling the engine out of my 450, replacing the cylinder base gasket and shift linkage, putting it back together and test riding it before going back to work on Monday. I suggest you get off the couch, into the garage and start wrenching. Otherwise pass the bike on to someone who will enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Sell whole bike. You will waste SOOOO much time removing, drilling out frozen/stripped bolts, cleaning, posting, packaging and mailing than its worth. TRUST ME - it ain't worth it unless its your full time salvage business.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts