Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please. I recently purchased a 1971 cb450 K4 and in preparation for derusting the gas tank I tried to remove the gas cap hinge pin. It wouldn't budge with a drift punch but I really did not want to hit it hard until I could check with experts here who have traveled this path before. The manuals I have gave no clue about the pin.

I'm trying to keep the bike as original as I can so I did not want to use the bigger hammer technique and possibly trash the pin until I know it is definitely just a press fit held in by what seems to be a slight flare on one side and probably 39 years of rust out of sight on the inside.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I use a small chisel (sharp) to tap the flaired end so it can be squeezed with a small pliers. This leaves a small hole in the end of the pin as it was when put in. I drive it out with an ice pick placed into the hole. A drift punch will just smash the flanges over again. I've done this twice and reused both pins. Granted if it's a rust bucket your odds of success will suffer. Good luck. Like stated a replacement can be had if it fails.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts