Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
854 Posts
I'm no authority on these bikes but I don't think I would pay anymore than $300-$400 for it. At least is has a title but it needs lots of work IMO.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Title or no?

With title I wouldn't go higher than $2-300. Cost to get it back can be really high and they dont sell for much running.

Without title, not more than $50.

·
Banned
854 Posts
There is a photo of the title in the CL listing so I assume it's legit.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah; I met with the guy today and saw the title. While he was willing to come down from the listed CL price, what he was asking as rock-bottom still seemed high to me. I mean, yeah, the mileage (if legit) is crazy low, but still. High.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Yeah the low mileage isn't much of a selling point, the worst thing for a motor is for it not to be used and judging by the registration sticker it hasn't run since the early 80's.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Actually, I disagree depending on how well sealed the engine was from the environment - and this one looks to have been covered well like any other complete bike, air filters on, exhaust on and complete. Yeah, you'd probably have to do the top end because of rust rings in the cylinders and the rings stuck to the pistons, but think of how little wear there would be on all of the other internal engine parts - crank, rods, pistons, cam/rockers/cam bearings, transmission, clutch, starter clutch... all pricey stuff, and even the gauges look pretty good - especially the tach, the redline area is actually red. Even the switches aren't faded as badly as some that age. Carb work, gas tank rust, all stuff anything that has been sitting a long time usually needs, but in the end, you'd have a bike with (potentially) a legit small amount of miles on it that could be made to look very original and worth a decent amount of money... if you could get it for half of his ask or less

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
Yeah the low mileage isn't much of a selling point, the worst thing for a motor is for it not to be used and judging by the registration sticker it hasn't run since the early 80's.
The 175 motors are pretty much bullet proof, if the spark plugs, exhaust and air boxes are in place it probably won't take much to get it running..... unless it was stuffed before it was parked in the 80's
It looks all there, and the muffler is unobtainium ( if it's not rushed out)
I wouldn't trust any speedo mileage from 45 years ago, it takes a minute to disconnect the cable and you can just keep with the traffic speed...
That said $1200 US seems like you should be buying a fully restored and titled bike.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Acientdad, I'm curious, what is that bike worth if it was restored? Also what would you pay for it currently?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'd probably give $500 to $600 max if internally it's anything like what the mileage would imply. I think a decently done cleanup/resto, more effort than parts money, could bring $1500 to $1800 for it looking nice and the low mileage - accurate or not, the gauges look good - would both be a factor around here

·
Registered
15 Posts
First you need to check to see if you can transfer title because not all titles are good so you have to take it to the DMV to verify. If the title is not good then it is only a parts bike maybe $200.
In its present condition you will put more money in it then it is worth in the end so if you like the bike pay what you want but you will put an unbelievable amount of time in it which you will
never get back. As a collector I would not pay more than $300 or $400 and in my opinion if you give him $400 it is a gift to him. He bought it in an estate sale and probably did not give as much
as $100. He of course will lie and tell you he paid a lot.Time is on your side so just wait him out and he will come down but of course if you really want it then go ahead and pay more than it is worth.
Just remember you will never get out of it what you put into it no matter how little you pay.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Amusingly, I know for a fact he got it for free, because he flat-out told me. I hear what you’re saying, tho. I’m going to see it Saturday; given how new I am to these bikes, it’s arguably madness to buy another one when I’ve not finished the first, but old CBs don’t pop up for sale around here all that often.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
First you need to check to see if you can transfer title because not all titles are good so you have to take it to the DMV to verify. If the title is not good then it is only a parts bike maybe $200.
In its present condition you will put more money in it then it is worth in the end so if you like the bike pay what you want but you will put an unbelievable amount of time in it which you will
never get back. As a collector I would not pay more than $300 or $400 and in my opinion if you give him $400 it is a gift to him. He bought it in an estate sale and probably did not give as much
as $100. He of course will lie and tell you he paid a lot.Time is on your side so just wait him out and he will come down but of course if you really want it then go ahead and pay more than it is worth.
Just remember you will never get out of it what you put into it no matter how little you pay.
That's probably true, but a cheap rusty bike as a base for a survivor/ brat/hack/racer build to ride isn't the same $ as trying to build it back to concourse quality for resale

·
Banned
854 Posts
It seems reasonable to expect it to cost at least $400-$500 on an old bike in that condition if there is nothing major to repair to get it safely back on the road.

·
Registered
49 Posts
For what its worth, my Son just happily paid $1,500 for this 1971 CL 175, it is a mainly original, honest bike, runs great lots of compression, PO had sorted the bike out nicely, I did just do the headlight (quick and dirty) but it was working at purchase, and a battery is next, the bike has a really nice patina, 1,350 miles.

Attachments

Reactions: ctrider and Rscottp

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'd probably give $500 to $600 max if internally it's anything like what the mileage would imply. I think a decently done cleanup/resto, more effort than parts money, could bring $1500 to $1800 for it looking nice and the low mileage - accurate or not, the gauges look good - would both be a factor around here
This post made me so sad. I'll have well over 3k in my 72 CB175 when it's all said and done.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
On some levels you're right. it probably cost less than he asking... Well that's capitalism for ya
If the exhaust isn't shot and the side covers and cams good there's over $500 in parts, if I owned it I wouldn't sell it for less just because the buyer owned a spanner and a screwdiver set.
Just because it's not a 'collectors' piece isn't a reason not to buy it's just not a reason to try to restore 'pristine' and sell... They stopped making 175 in 1975 and there's no aftermarket parts bar one-sided carbs and consumables so if you did nothing bar store it under covet and pickle the engine you'd make money in ten years

·
Registered
479 Posts
Having a title is worth about 300, so I'd say about 500-600 tops.

·
Registered
49 Posts
FYI the bike from the CL ad is now on fleebay with a BIN of $900 but the CL price has dropped to $800

1 - 20 of 26 Posts