Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First timer on the Forum,

New to this old retro bike thing, but I really like them. The whole thing scares me, not sure if I should do this. The Bike appears to be completely stock. Supposedly has 9000 miles on it and I believe second owner. I would rate the bike in very good condition/really good condition considering. It needs some cleaning up but tank and side panels are in excellent condition. Problems are that at 3K rpm it starts to cut out then seems ok after a few seconds once it gets past that point. It idles fine at 1200 Rpm. Kick and electric starter work great, brakes work but they suck! I only took it up to about 40 mph. Tranny seems fine. Wheels seem fine. ( Comstar ) Tank has been acid washed and coated inside. It sat around inside a garage with the first owner for many years.

My questions:

1. Will this really have to be a labor of love to enjoy it or will it be a pain to maintain? I like working on things, by don't want to go overboard.
2. Are parts hard to find?
3. I assume Comstar wheels are not replaceable. If they break, am I up the creek?
4. Seller wants $2K for it. Is that bad? Seems a bit high considering its really not running to smooth as well as any other possible unknowns. Currentt owner has had for 2 years.

Any help on what to expect or feedback highly appreciated.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
It may be a lot of work in the beginning, but will be reliable once dialed in.

A lot of folks recently have had issues with cdi or stator. Those could be expensive to replace.

New tires? New stator and new cdi?

Your bog could be carb or electrical.

Pics?

2k is more than I would pay, but could be okay depending on other things.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the group.

Price is highly dependent on location, adding your location to your profile would also be helpful down the road when people are offering assistance. Where I am that bike might be in the $1200 range.

Here's some good info to give you an idea of what is involved in getting the bike roadworthy but, once there, the SOHC bikes are more ride than wrench.

http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/67...n/16105-basic-checklist-new-you-old-bike.html

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Wheels are easy to find as a general rule, rarely is there a problem with Comstars. Price is high IMO unless it's in really good mechanical and cosmetic shape. Most of the common failure parts are reasonable to find and buy.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have only ever had issues finding the stator for my 1981. Everything else has been relatively easy to get. In Ontario I bought my 1981 for 800 cad running and with 15000 miles on it.

Sent from my ASUS_X008DC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
I saw one in Hamilton,Ontario other day. really nice looking bike. $2000 seems steep, maybe see if any works needs done and take it off the price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts