Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm at the point in my build where I'm close to having everything off the frame. Is there anything I need to know about any parts that are ok / not ok to get powder coated on these frames? Just want to make sure I don't screw anything up since this is my first tear down / re build.

Thanks-

DW

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The frame is used to distribute some grounds, so you need a clean, un-coated connection at the motor mounts, especially the one that the ground cable from the battery bolts to. Make sure the rear signals get a good ground, and also the steering head, as there is a ground wire from the handle bars to the steering top bridge which has to be good.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I literally just went through this a month or two ago.
I got really lucky that my powdercoater had a lot of experience with motorcycle frames and had a dedicated shop and not a "garage" setup. He made sure that all collars and threaded holes were capped off before powdercoating. He also went ahead and removed any bushings that I forgot to remove in the disassembly process. My frame did not have a VIN plate, so I didn't have to worry about that. I would say to make his/her life easier, give the frame a scrub with some hot water and simple green to remove some oil/road grime.

Reactions: Bill H and J-T

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Who did you end up using Krukster? I may look into doing this at some point next year.
Precision Powdercoating in Crystal Lake. Bob is a really good guy to deal with. His shop doesn't really advertise too much (website is kinda dated). He does large runs of commercial/industrial products, but does small projects like this on the side for not a lot of money. He told me that while he has the frame going, he would charge a nominal amount for any extra parts.

I was charged $300 for sandblasting and powdercoating the frame, and then $50 for the centerstand, sidestand, upper and lower triple tree/clamps, footpegs, swingarm, battery box, handlebar mounts, and engine mounting brackets.

Reactions: nebula
1 - 7 of 7 Posts